Vertex Boring Heads

Lonnie

Registered
Registered
Just wondering if anyone has any insight into this boring head - Vertex 3" Boring Head Set, good, bad or ugly. (website is for reference only)
I have a Chinese 2" boring head and although it gets me by, it's pretty sloppy and really not that great of quality. There are times it hits final dimension on finishing cut and there are times it over-shoots the dimension. It's just not repeatable and it frustrates the heck out of me. I'm hoping one from Taiwan will be a step up from it.
I don't need a boring head that's of super high quality, I just need one that I don't have to worry about it overshooting the bore size.

Thank you

Just wondering if anyone has any insight into this boring head - Vertex 3" Boring Head Set, good, bad or ugly. (website is for reference only)
I have a Chinese 2" boring head and although it gets me by, it's pretty sloppy and really not that great of quality. There are times it hits final dimension on finishing cut and there are times it over-shoots the dimension. It's just not repeatable and it frustrates the heck out of me. I'm hoping one from Taiwan will be a step up from it.
I don't need a boring head that's of super high quality, I just need one that I don't have to worry about it overshooting the bore size.

Thank you

Hello, did you wind up purchasing this boring head? I too am looking for a boring head. I have a Vertex super spacer and am impressed with the quality.

I have a 2" and a 3" with R8 shanks that are about as inexpensive as I could find on eBay, and I'm quite satisfied with both. They have adequate locking mechanisms, and I generally use a dial indicator to verify movement, rather than the graduated dial, because the backlash can be significant if you don't use care. The carbide tipped bars have been OK for aluminum and steel operations.

I think there is a learning curve to getting the right bar selected and rake angle set appropriately.

I have a 2" and a 3" with R8 shanks that are about as inexpensive as I could find on eBay, and I'm quite satisfied with both. They have adequate locking mechanisms, and I generally use a dial indicator to verify movement, rather than the graduated dial, because the backlash can be significant if you don't use care. The carbide tipped bars have been OK for aluminum and steel operations.

I think there is a learning curve to getting the right bar selected and rake angle set appropriately.
I went ahead with the OP's link to the Vertex head. Eisen has it marked down to $275 + shipping and no sales tax. Eisen also has this product listed on ebay but the sale is taxed and they get skinned for ebay commission.

I went ahead with the OP's link to the Vertex head.
That should be a good unit. I wish there was a way to understand any differences between the Vertex head and other eBay offerings that look identical but are 1/3 the price. Anybody know of any reviews?

I had a cheap Chicom boring head. It worked quite well except the dial was numbered backward.

I went ahead with the OP's link to the Vertex head. Eisen has it marked down to $275 + shipping and no sales tax. Eisen also has this product listed on ebay but the sale is taxed and they get skinned for ebay commission.
Oh and as of Jan 01 22, anyone whom makes more than 600 bucks on evilbay, will receive a 1099 from them..

That should be a good unit. I wish there was a way to understand any differences between the Vertex head and other eBay offerings that look identical but are 1/3 the price. Anybody know of any reviews?
maybe the diff is .001 vs .0005 graduations?

Oh and as of Jan 01 22, anyone whom makes more than 600 bucks on evilbay, will receive a 1099 from them..
Hmmm.... I have never given ebay my SSN. I refused to give them my phone number too. It has been many years since I have sold anything on ebay though, do they require that information to sell now?

Back