Vertical Bandsaw Help

Gaffer

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've wanted, but wouldn't frequently use, a vertical bandsaw. Most of the ones I see are for wood with no variable speed for cutting metal. I want something capable without a huge footprint, so am I better off converting a wood saw. I don't know what that would take, and since I wouldn't uses it regularly, I don't want to spend a lot for one. I've had my eye on a Kalamazoo 24-V-10 that's been listed on Craigslist for about a month. If space wasn't an issue, I'd probably have bought it - though I still might depending on your responses. It's overkill for my needs, but that's usually how I roll, and then make due. This is the posting for the saw. He was selling a very nice Monarch lathe and a few other things, and in that ad, he mentions the vertical bandsaw for $500. At the $750 he's asking in this ad, I'm not interested, but at $500, and his claim it runs, I'd strike if you don't have a better option converting another saw for a similar price.

Looks like a nice industrial saw Gaf . :encourage:

A lot depends on how much throat you need/want
I don't have room (or $) for something like a DoAll or a Grob.
This does all I need. This saw was given to me, but they can frequently be found for $100 or less on CL and FB Marketplace.

. 20210724_123117.jpg

20210729_230637.jpg

Wood saws are generally not heavy enough nor slow enough to be effective metal cutting devices.
You may be able to cut light sheet steel and aluminum
That depends, the saw I converted had the same frame as the metal cutting version offered by that manufacturer. Yes, the speed was too fast and needed a lot of reduction. Pulley sizes and the VFD weren't enough, gear reduction was necessary. The saw now cuts any metal, even thick stainless.

I picked up a few saws a couple years back . One went to a member on here . I kept the Jet 14" with the gearbox and it resides on wheels . Not particulary an industrial saw , but it fits the bill . ( woodworking for my daughter )

Some manufacturers have made combination wood/metal saws for the consumer market. Jet is the only one I know of currently making them. They do turn up on CL or FB from time to time.

Startrite's are good saws. I have had an H175 horizontal saw in the shop for around 20 years. The price sounds great, and I would jump on it in a minute. If you're looking for something with a little different profile you might consider a DoAll 16" machine. There's currently one available on eBay for the same price.

Last edited:
I've read mixed reviews on three-wheel saws tracking properly. I left a message with the seller and will get more information from him. The DoAll @projectnut referenced on eBay is about equidistant from the Kalamazoo, but that seller says nothing about the DoAll. I'm trying to think through how I would make space for it. Ideally, it needs to be near the mill and my Phase Perfect. Single phase 220 would have given me more options. I have my VFD from my last mill, but I don't think it would be a good choice, or doable, for this saw, given it has a welder built in, and I think an air pump. I don't know enough about the welder and am concerned my 5hp phase converter would work with it.

Back