Vertical Milling Machine Questions

$1800.00 is overpriced for that machine, $500-$750 at best. If it is a used machine dealer offer $750.00 or so, if a private seller they either do not know what they have or are waiting for someone to stumble by and pay that price for it.
The Bridgeport name goes a long way towards compelling casual users to pay that much however.
As I have mentioned in another thread here, the quantity of old used American Made machines for sale is about spent, there may well be a gloat of relatively well heeled hobbyists that will only buy such machines at whatever cost, so they may have become collectible now, this I do not know.

$1800.00 is overpriced for that machine, $500-$750 at best. If it is a used machine dealer offer $750.00 or so, if a private seller they either do not know what they have or are waiting for someone to stumble by and pay that price for it.
The Bridgeport name goes a long way towards compelling casual users to pay that much however.
As I have mentioned in another thread here, the quantity of old used American Made machines for sale is about spent, there may well be a gloat of relatively well heeled hobbyists that will only buy such machines at whatever cost, so they may have become collectible now, this I do not know.
You are right. I'm also very cheap when it comes to spending my money. I will most defiantly get the best deal. I will low ball every price and can and get as much tooling as possible. I'm very patient so the right deal will come around. But I have seen the BP style go from $900 to a little over $12K. It just depends on what part of the country they are in and I have searched a lot of country. Tool dealers tend to over price everything. I will only offer a 1/3 of the price most of the time. I've gotten a lot of equipment that way in the past, welders and wood tools. Thanks for the help.

I see questions about machine values all the time and feel most questions are are useless. The value of a machine is very dependent on its location and condition..( and see end statement)

I usually buy "junk" and overhaul it, as my hobby seems to be the rebuilding more than the useing it. My bridgeport copy (Comet) cost me 400 and my Voest DA210 lathe was 800 with over 500 in other stuff included. both were disconnected, dirty, rusted, and "broke", but cost less than 500 each to fix
A great machine in Oregon could be 5000 to 7000 while the same machine on Ohio or other "rust belt state" might be 2000 to 3000.

my rule of thumb is as my daddy use to say" a good deal is one where the price is what one fool will give ,and the other fool will take. And they both feel they got screwed!

Back