vertical steam engine 1940's Popular Sceince magazine plans

Hey I built that same one..Made mine a bit larger and two cylinder but I followed that same plan as much as I am able to follow any instructions...Aint saying mines purty but I am kinda proud of it.

Hey I built that same one..Made mine a bit larger and two cylinder but I followed that same plan as much as I am able to follow any instructions...Aint saying mines purty but I am kinda proud of it.

Purty or not, I'm sure we'd all like to see pics of it! :))

M

Purty or not, I'm sure we'd all like to see pics of it! :))

M

I dont like posting my pictures in another mans thread but since I was asked.....
This is new computer just two days old and I havent yet loaded all my pictures off the old computer.Here (I think) is the video I made that shows my version of that same engine. . http://youtu.be/Z2L46HfeyKc I have seen two others build that same engine and they followed the plans very nicely. This is my first engine build..I played fast and loose with the plans..Never did like following instructions.

Alphawolf45, That's really a cool engine you built. I kind of stopped work on mine it's got cold in the shop and I lost interest. Did you sleeve the cross head area and the cylinder? I'm still not sure if I want to go all aluminum or bother with iron sleeves for the piston and cross head.
Feel free to put up more photos of your build I'd like to see them.
After seeing your engine run I might have to get back to building. Thanks!

Cold in my shop too Loafy..I am in the house warming up right now...Sheesh...

.I cut up an air cylinder and pressed the steel pieces in as liners for the cylinders..Would have been a good idea to also line the crossheads but I did not think of that..I will look for pictures..That was my first and only try at building an engine..Did it on a budget (built from whats laying around the shop) and worked FAST...It should make 2.5 or 3hp if hooked to 150 lbs of steam but I lost interest before I could build a boiler...Thought I was gonna build a next and much larger and fancy steam engine to actually power a boat but projects take so long that priorities have time to change..So it goes.

Alphawolf45, That's really a cool engine you built. I kind of stopped work on mine it's got cold in the shop and I lost interest. Did you sleeve the cross head area and the cylinder? I'm still not sure if I want to go all aluminum or bother with iron sleeves for the piston and cross head.
Feel free to put up more photos of your build I'd like to see them.
After seeing your engine run I might have to get back to building. Thanks!

Back