Vevor 6" rotary - is this vernier wrong or is it just me?

Makintrax73

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
This is a new Vevor 6" rotary table. Yes, I know Vevor is crap. This is a hobby for me and I watch my $. For $140 shipped I couldn't resist.

20240508_135142.jpg

Ok my question is about the Vernier scale. The instructions state "vernier scale makes settings down to 10 seconds possible (20 seconds for HV6)"

I have the HV6 so it should be marked 20 seconds. In fact the vernier is marked 20 seconds. However when I move the mark over to 60 seconds it is only 1/2 way to the next minute mark. If I shift from the left side vernier to the right side after I get to 60 it appears to line up and then go to 60 again and line up at the next minute. But that would be 10 seconds not 20.....

20240508_135153.jpg

Either I'm missing something obvious, or are the markings are screwed up?

I haven't tested it yet, but honestly I'm surprised how good it looks and smoothly it turns for $140......fingers crossed

Last edited:
vernier scales always cause me to stop and think about it. Usually having to count marks to figure it out.
How many divisions are there per revolution of the hand wheel?
How many revolutions of the hand wheel are required to get the table to rotate one degree?

I've had a rotary table for less than a year, and so far there has been no need for me to be more accurate than 1 degree. Now you have me curious, I need to go look at it and check the manual to see what it says.

It looks like you have 4º per revolution of the main dial. Your primary scale has 2' or 120" divisions. The vernier scale has a total of 120" for 6 divisions or 20"/div.

This is a new Vevor 6" rotary table. Yes, I know Vevor is crap. This is a hobby for me and I watch my $. For $140 shipped I couldn't resist.
I don't know about Vevor being crap. My 8" Vevor table is flawless. It was absolutely spotless inside, the grinding on the bottom and side is mirror-like. Much much better than the eBay table I had.

vernier scales always cause me to stop and think about it. Usually having to count marks to figure it out.
How many divisions are there per revolution of the hand wheel?
How many revolutions of the hand wheel are required to get the table to rotate one degree?

I've had a rotary table for less than a year, and so far there has been no need for me to be more accurate than 1 degree. Now you have me curious, I need to go look at it and check the manual to see what it says.

The main worm gear is 90:1, so 1/4 of a revolution per degree. The hand wheel has 4x 1 degree main divisions (0-1-2-3), and in between each 1 degree main division there are 60x 1 minute divisions. The vernier is supposed to be 20 seconds. My issue is that if I move it 3 places where it lines up on the vernier it has only moved about 1/2 way to the next minute of arc. So it says "60" seconds, but I'm pretty sure if it actually moved 60 seconds it would line up with the next minute.

In reality you're probably right that I won't need more than degrees and minutes which is 21,600 divisions of a circle. More just curious.

The main worm gear is 90:1, so 1/4 of a revolution per degree. The hand wheel has 4x 1 degree main divisions (0-1-2-3), and in between each 1 degree main division there are 60x 1 minute divisions. The vernier is supposed to be 20 seconds. My issue is that if I move it 3 places where it lines up on the vernier it has only moved about 1/2 way to the next minute of arc. So it says "60" seconds, but I'm pretty sure if it actually moved 60 seconds it would line up with the next minute.

I think (pretty sure) those graduations on the wheel are two minute, not one minute. I'm looking at zero, and counting fifteen spaces to get to thirty.

Just like the old time sine tables that stopped at 45 degrees, they work best if you've worked with them all your life and just knew what to do with 'em, and at that point, they weren't incomplete. Undersized verniers (I've seen that before), I suspect that you're just supposed to be familiar enough to "know" how to let your eyes wander off to the opposite side, and count back into zero when they run over.

Whatever their reason, be it practical, financial, or just lazy, you do have what you need to count out 20 seconds. It's probably a LOT more intuitive to build up to a number to land on an angle, and probably nearly impossible to start at an angle and work back out to find the number.

I think (pretty sure) those graduations on the wheel are two minute, not one minute. I'm looking at zero, and counting fifteen spaces to get to thirty.

Just like the old time sine tables that stopped at 45 degrees, they work best if you've worked with them all your life and just knew what to do with 'em, and at that point, they weren't incomplete. Undersized verniers (I've seen that before), I suspect that you're just supposed to be familiar enough to "know" how to let your eyes wander off to the opposite side, and count back into zero when they run over.

Whatever their reason, be it practical, financial, or just lazy, you do have what you need to count out 20 seconds. It's probably a LOT more intuitive to build up to a number to land on an angle, and probably nearly impossible to start at an angle and work back out to find the number.

Ah! OK that makes me feel dumb. Never counted the lines! Those are 2 deg lines, not 1 like I assumed.

That makes sense now. :laughing:

That's a good price- let us know how you like it- I might even get one myself
The Vevor brand varies in quality- these look to be better than their lathes
-at least from the outside

Last edited:
That's a good price- let us know how you like it- I might even get one myself
I'm super impressed with my 10 inch table. Like I said it's immaculate.

Back