VFD Enclosure - Ammo Can.

When I built enclosures for my VFDs, I cut out largish holes with a hole saw, then attached metal "screening" (aluminum plate punched with ~⅛" holes on ~¼" centers) to the walls on the inside face.

I mounted mine on a pedestal from the ceiling. It's still handy and visible that way yet out of the way of chips. It has a plexiglass
door on the front so I can see the frequency. Also I added screening like hman and added a 12 volt computer fan to remove the heat.
The semiconductors and electrolytic capacitors will be short lived if they run too hot.

VFD hanging on the ceiling

View media item 94587

Here are a couple of options for relatively simple setup that I typically use:

Hammond EJ12108 NEMA13 12x10x8 $101.63

Hubbell-Wiegmann Ultimate Mini-Max series enclosure, NEMA 4/12, 12 x 10 x 8in $90

I've found all my enclosures as surplus on ebay or HGR. Although many are already cut up, there are some that are new.

For example my most recent 24x36x8 enclosure for my CNC was new surplus from eBay for $90, free shipping.

Most new off the shelf enclosures can be prohibitively expensive for home use.

https://hgrinc.com/?all=1&view&aisl...nclosure&per_page=24&min_price&max_price&pn=1

Small knockout holes can be plugged with clean and professional looking hole caps.

Craigslist is always a good source. I’ve seen many enclosures in my local CL adds. Cheap to people just wanna throw them away.
Big box stores also sell enclosures. I’ve seen a plastic or fiberglass type used for lawn irrigation systems at menards. Cheap

I almost feel that it would be required for the vent holes to have been made with bird shot if you went that route.

My boss is an avid "Star Craft" online game player (never played it myself). He wanted his new computer case to look like a battle scared star ship. We had a great time taking it out and putting holes in it with .17's, 22's, 9mm's and a 50ae. Being absolutely OCD he had every hole carefully chalked out on the case including the angle he wanted it to come from before we ever went to work creating art. It turned out really good after he spent many hours hand painting blast marks around every hole. Of course the numerous grouped .17 holes lined up with his CPU cooler. If I can get a pic from him I will post it.

Most of the time I can score really good deals on ebay and craigslist (I believe "Bottom feeder" is the proper term). But that only works well when I am not in a hurry. I have spent YEARS waiting to score a good deal on a machine (12" Powermatic table saw and Davis Wells horizontal boring machine for below scrap value come to mind... I am a wood worker). I scored the brand new 3hp Hitachi WJ200 on ebay several months ago for $210. $78 on a stupid enclosure is extravagant for me! :)

Now I need to find a decent price on the bottom plate. WIEGMANN part number - 2W823. I can only find a 5 pack on ebay. Grainger has a good price but I don't have a local grainger and buying anything from them usually costs more for shipping than the item I am buying.

Last edited:

Might be a good idea to get a set of knockout dies..... That's how cut all the holes in my stainless box.....

That is definitely the best way to do it... but $90 ugh... I think there are other tools I would get more use out of. For me this would be a HF tool... really handy for the job at hand but not too likely to come around too often for me. If there is a tool I will get a lot of use out of I don't mind paying for quality... but I just don't customize a lot electrical enclosures and all my studs are wood, not metal.

I use FAT50 Caliber ammo cans. They are cheap and work great. I drill holes for ventilation and cover the inside of the holes with scotchbrite pad material to filter the air. Two holes on the bottom and two holes on the sides near the top.

I use FAT50 Caliber ammo cans. They are cheap and work great. I drill holes for ventilation and cover the inside of the holes with scotchbrite pad material to filter the air. Two holes on the bottom and two holes on the sides near the top.

Exactly what I was thinking... before I talked myself out of it... :confused:

Back