VFD Help Needed

I have a thread here on programming these VFDs. Unforch, I have to be back to work in like three minutes. But... if when you power the VFD up it shows 400 like in the ebay pic, that is your problem. You need to program it first. If I remember correctly, it's Pn32 set to 6 puts it in 50 hz mode and the lathe should power up. We can fine tune from there.

Last edited:

Here is the thread

Randy, thanks for the reply. And thanks to everyone else who has made suggestions. I'm kind of in over my head. I'm fairly good with mechanical equipment but AC electrical just doesn't compute with me. Also, I was under the impression that if all I was going to use the VFD for was to get 3 phase power and not use any of the other features it didn't need programming. Color me stupid...

I went back out into the shop today to try to get this thing going again. I did watch a YT video that helped a small amount. I tried resetting some of the parameters, but couldn't get the menu to come up. I removed the small control panel and found a bent pin inside. After straightening it and reinstalling the panel, I could access the menu. Going with the information in the video, I reset several of the menu items. On Pn 01, I have no idea. What is a 'runtime frequency'? On Pn 02, I reset from 400 to 60. Pn 08 and Pn 09 are acceleration and deceleration times and I reset them to 5, just as a starting point. The video suggested resetting Pn 10,11, and 12 which are maximum output frequency, maximum runtime frequency, and motor rating frequency. All of these I set to 60. I think all these saved. I still get no response from the motor. VFD powers up and fan comes on for a couple of seconds, then the fan quits. Display sits there blinking '60'. I did check the internal fuse, and it is fine.

In my initial post I had said I got an over-voltage code. I misread the code; it was an UNDER-voltage. That code would pop up after I unplugged the VFD but before the display went dark. I'm pretty sure it was just telling me it wasn't getting any current because it had been unplugged.

Slack or remove the belt from the lathe motor and see if it will start without trying to push any load of the lathe.

On one of my radial arm saws the VFD would always trip when I was pushing the saw through a cut (I use that RAS to cut metal with an abrasive blade). I found the trip current setting in the VFD and increased the value which solved all my problems. ...that was about 10 years ago so I don't remember the exact name of the parameter.

Last edited:
The belt is slack and I've got the geartrain in neutral so there shouldn't be any load on the motor. I'll open the base up tomorrow and confirm by hand.

Looking through the thread that RandyWilson linked to above and the manual he linked to in that thread these 5 parameters look important and are ones that I would suggest you look at to make sure they match the tag on the motor.

PD141 Rated Motor Voltage - Set according to Motor nameplate
PD142 Rated Motor Current - Set according to Motor nameplate
PD143 Motor pole number - 02—10
PD144 Rated Motor Revolution per minute - 00—9999
PD176 Inverter Frequency Standard - 0:50Hz 1:60Hz (Should be 1 - 60Hz here in the US)

These also caught my eye:
PD118 Over-voltage Stall Prevention - 0:Invalid 1:Valid
PD119 Stall Prevention Level at Accel. - 0~200%
But I would not mess with them until the above 5 parameters are set correctly and tested.

Last thing I would do if none of the above get your motor started is set this parameter to (maybe) 10seconds which should lower the starting current because the motor is accelerating slower:
PD014 Accel. Time 1 - 0.1~6500.0S (default 5sec)

When you buy a 3hp rated VFD the initial values for the first 5 parameters are usually defaulted to a typical 3hp motor. So if you run a 2hp motor on a 3hp VFD you usually don't have to mess with these parameters because the defaults are higher than what is needed for a 2hp motor. Since you have a 2hp motor on a 2hp VFD it is more important to set these parameters properly to prevent the problem you are experiencing. They should also be set properly for a 2hp motor on a 3hp VFD too!!! ...but the problem you are experiencing should not arise if they are not. Setting these parameters properly on a 3hp VFD controlling a 2hp motor will do a much better job of protecting the 2hp motor from an over current situation that might harm the motor.

Last edited:
In addition to the parameters you might post a picture of the wiring to the terminals. Often when there is an under voltage error it is because the neutral was wired in or the wrong terminals for the input power, but in this case I think it appears as the capacitors drain voltage once unplugged.

Many of these generic VFD's are sold for high speed spindle motors, not standard 2 or 4 pole motors, almost all VFD's need some programming to work properly. My experience with helping others with these generic VFD's is less than stellar, depends on the application and load. They have a high initial failure rate, but once working seem to do ok. I have more issues with lack of programming flexibility, terrible manuals, and just plain performance relative to other VFD's I commonly use. Some of the bigger VFD distributors provide tech. support in helping you setting them up.

Before things get crazy here, we need to ID which unit you have. My thread is on the Isacon / Askpower units. Look at your manual. If your parameter setting are in the range of ph01-ph36 then you have an Isacon and we can go forward. If the parameters go to ph1xx (three digits), then it's a a HuangYang and my thread does not apply.

The parameters you listed are for the Isacon series. so my thread will apply and we are going to move forward. Step 1 is to step away from Youtube. Youtube is for stupid cat videos. Even This Old Tony had to resort to including cats in his videos in order to get his ratings out of the gutter. Remember, random faceless postings on some text message board are much more reliable than some narcissistic self proclaimed expert on youtube.

This is fact.

What happened when you programmed those settings is you told the VFD to go from the base frequency (default is 11) and ramp up to 60hz over 5 seconds, without ever going over 60hz, or under 60hz. Of course the VFD came up, gave you a really confused look for 5 seconds, and shut back down.

These VFDs come out of the box with a default set to drive a high speed CNC spindle. 400hz starting point. South Bends don't like that. Pretty much every parameter is wrong. The later Isacon units have a second default table, 50hz. While not a final setting, this gets you much closer to what you need. So set that first.

Pn32=6

This will reset everything back to factory defaults, but using the 50hz table. This will remove all of the changes you did.

Now, set a reasonable starting freq.

Pn02=20

And to make sure that you have panel control.

Pn03=2
Pn04=1

Now hit start. The lathe should start up at a slowish speed. The arrow keys will allow you to increase the speed.. You can do a bit at marveling. Later today I will write down all of the settings I use on my 14 1/2 South Bend.

BTW, you *will* be using the VFD for start, stop, and speed control, so mount it in a good reachable place. I haven't changed the belt settings on my lathe in years. The VFD and backgear gets me everything I need.

Last edited:
The manual Mike linked above looks nothing like the manual I have.

Somewhere during all this I'm pretty sure I ran across the mention that these were either Isacon or a clone of Isacon. In my manual the parameters are listed as Pn, not PH, and run from 1 to 35. Pn 35=6 is initialization for 50 hz values. I've got to do some PM on a couple of pieces of equipment this morning. When I get done I'll try the settings you suggest and post back.

Thanks for the help, fellas!

Back