VFD Problem

Great white hunter

Active User
Registered
I have a lathe with a 2hp 3 phase motor on it. I switched from a static phase converter to a VFD. The VFD is rated for 3 hp. I am having torque problems. With the static phase converter you could not stop the chuck for anything. With the VFD I can stop the chuck with my bear hands at 1000 rpm. I can stop the chuck alot easier at lower rpm. Its not easy buy I can stop the chuck. I know nothing about vfd's. My friend has 3 of them on 3 different machines for 3 years so I bought the same one on ebay for $140.00. Its a Huanyang Inverter. I set all the parameters. One problem I am having is the name plate on my motor does not tell you the HZ. So I looked at alot of other 2 hp 3 phase motors and they are all about 60 HZ so thats what I set it at. Any help at all would be greatly appercaited The motor I have is a Rockwell 2 hp model 96-320, frame66, 1725 rpm, 6/3-7/3 amps. Its driving me nuts. I don't want to go back to the static converter. Thanks:anyone:

Jason
not sure if this will cast any light on your question but...
Assuming that in the USA, the base frequency of AC power is 60hz. A VFD, set to 60hz will result in 100% of the motor's rated horsepower and torque. When the VFD is used to reduce the frequency, the horsepower is reduced proportionately but the torque remains at 100%.
When the VFD is "overrun", and the frequency is greater than 60hz, the torque is reduced, but the horsepower stays at 100%.

You might double check the hz to be on 60 - my Huangyang came set on 400hz even with the literature saying it was defaulted at 60hz, and this was a common problem with several posters that I read about on other sites.

FWIW my Huangyang was also a 3hp installed on a Sheldon lathe with a 2hp motor and other than having a couple glitches getting the parameters dialed in, it made a good install and performed well.

I have a lathe with a 2hp 3 phase motor on it. I switched from a static phase converter to a VFD. The VFD is rated for 3 hp. I am having torque problems. With the static phase converter you could not stop the chuck for anything. With the VFD I can stop the chuck with my bear hands at 1000 rpm. I can stop the chuck alot easier at lower rpm. Its not easy buy I can stop the chuck. I know nothing about vfd's. My friend has 3 of them on 3 different machines for 3 years so I bought the same one on ebay for $140.00. Its a Huanyang Inverter. I set all the parameters. One problem I am having is the name plate on my motor does not tell you the HZ. So I looked at alot of other 2 hp 3 phase motors and they are all about 60 HZ so thats what I set it at. Any help at all would be greatly appercaited The motor I have is a Rockwell 2 hp model 96-320, frame66, 1725 rpm, 6/3-7/3 amps. Its driving me nuts. I don't want to go back to the static converter. Thanks:anyone:

Make sure your VFD is configured to put out 220V 60Hz and that your motor is configured for 220. Check the phase voltages.

Have you rewired from star to Delta? Just a thought.

Does your VFD have a parameter for the number of poles ? It should.

A 3600 RPM motor is a 2-pole. 1800 (1725) would be a 4-pole and so forth.

Yes, you should set it for 220/240 or what your actual line voltage is and 60Hz.

The 400 Hz you refered to may actually be the modulation frequency and not the output freq. If possible, do a factory reset on it to set all the default parameters as they are "usually" pretty close to "typical" for your setup with only a little fine tuning needed.

I use Hitachi Inverters exclusively and they have a nice piece of software that makes setup and debugging easy, even from the front display. If you can measure the current going to the motor, that will give you a good indication of what is going on. If you are running it at 1000 RPM or some number and you can stop it with your hand, it better not be pulling a lot of current or something is very wrong.

Also, unless your motor is "Inverter Duty" Rated, ie. It has Class-F Insulation and Conductive Grease, you should not load it too hard at slower speeds -- heat -- and you may want to somehow ground the motor shaft. VFD's produce a lot of Reverse EMF and will over time toast your motor bearings.

Peter

I did everything everyone said and still doing the same thing. Maybe I should buy an American vfd?

- - - Updated - - -

You might double check the hz to be on 60 - my Huangyang came set on 400hz even with the literature saying it was defaulted at 60hz, and this was a common problem with several posters that I read about on other sites.

FWIW my Huangyang was also a 3hp installed on a Sheldon lathe with a 2hp motor and other than having a couple glitches getting the parameters dialed in, it made a good install and performed well.

Mine was also set on 400hz, that was the first thing I set to 60hz

I did everything everyone said and still doing the same thing. Maybe I should buy an American vfd?
Mine was also set on 400hz, that was the first thing I set to 60hz

What did you get when you measured the phase voltages? You set the output frequency to 60Hz, not the carrier frequency, right? And you have it configured for single-phase input, three-phase output?

was your static inverter set for 230v 3ph or 440v 3ph , also tell us what output amps you set the vfd . also what is full load amperage on motor .

Back