VFD questions for a Bridgeport

RYAN S

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone! I recently got a new to me 1hp 3 phase Bridgeport 1J. I need a VFD for it. After a bunch of reading I have a few questions.

1. I have a 15 amp 120 volt outlet and a 30 amp 220 single phase outlet. What would be the better one for input to the VFD?

2. From what I can tell the Teco and Hitachi are popular, any reason to go with one brand over the other?

3. I would like one that I can incorporate a fwd and rev switch, a speed dial, and a on off switch at a later time. First step is to get it running.

4. What is vector control, and do I need it?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Ryan

1. Use the 220V outlet.
2. You can also use the very inexpensive Chinese VFDs, which do the job, in my experience.
3. See 2. They have that capability.
4. Above my pay grade. You may need a different motor. Someone else will answer that soon.

Hi Ryan, there are VFDs that convert 120v single phase to 240v three phase but I would go with a 240 in to 240 out unit, several reasons:
Lower cost, more efficient, smaller wire size (on the input side)
Less chance of overloading your electrical system, also more brands to choose from
M

I have a little 3 hp 220v mill that I put a VFD on and it works great.

Replaced the Fwd/Rev switch with a little box that contains a Fwd/Rev switch, a speed pot, and a Emerg Stop button.

I like the soft start function of the VFD, and disabled the auto-braking or whatever it's called and just use the mechanical brake on the mill.

My Mill.jpeg

Vector control gives you better torque performance at lower speeds, in some cases 100% torque at near zero speed. For a standard BP motor I would limit the VFD to operate between 30 and 90 Hz. Should work fine.

I have Teco units on my mill, drill press, and lathe. All three are running on 120V 20A dedicated circuits and each is powering 1HP motors. I've had zero issues. For my new 2HP lathe, I opted for a 3HP Lenze Vector drive VFD (33% derated) on a 240V 30A dedicated circuit with a local 15A fuse. However, I have repurposed the Lenze to an industrial 3HP grinder, and will buy the Hitachi WJ200 series for the lathe.

I think at the end of the day, they all work just fine. If you have the 240V circuit available, why not use it. But if not, your 120V circuits will work just fine most likely. One thing to keep in mind is in-rush current. I'd have to check, but I believe the VFD on my lathe specs at 18A startup current @120V, so if you are trying to power them in 15A circuits- especially if the circuit is shared with other fixtures- you may run into an issue. But all of this stuff is easily verified by checking the VFD specs.

One thing to remember is to bypass the BP on/off- fwd/rev switch. VFD's don't like any switches or controls between them and the motor. All motor functions are controlled by the VFD. I totally removed my BP switch...................Bob

One thing to remember is to bypass the BP on/off- fwd/rev switch. VFD's don't like any switches or controls between them and the motor. All motor functions are controlled by the VFD. I totally removed my BP switch...................Bob

Good point! If you are crafty and electrically minded, it's not too difficult to map out the original switch and use it as the control input to the VFD. That is what I did. The switch doesn't care if it's switching low voltage or high voltage, so it works quite well.

I put the speed potentiometer in the same box as the switch. It's quite a nice low-key install...

I also used the original mains disconnect in the original box as a disconnect for the VFD.

Good luck with your conversion. It's not super challenging.

Thanks for all of the advice! I will definitely use the 220 volt for the input. I am looking at the Teco L510 and the Hitachi WJ200. Any reason to go with one over the other? Also where would you buy one from. I was looking on wolf automations web site has anyone used them?

Thanks!
Ryan

Back