[How-To] VFD worries

sundown57

Registered
Registered
Just put a VFD on my mini lathe. its 220 single phase in and 3 out. I have it on a 1 HP 3 phase motor. Question is . when i put power to the machine it takes like a minute to build up enough power to spin the head stock. plus it doesn't quick start at all. It kinda winds up slowly. Torque seems ok ones its running but is that normal ?

Have you looked at the programming parameters of the vfd?

amazingly enough i did read through the instructions but i didn't see any thing about making it start faster or time before power up.

You'll probably need to post the model of the VFD to get more detailed help. VFD's are microcontroller based devices so there can be a bootup time involved, but I would expect a few seconds. A minute definitely seems excessive. Just to be clear, are you talking about time from power reaching the VFD until it will respond to the run switch? Or after you push run it takes a minute to start turning the motor?

Most VFD's have an acceleration setting that sets how quickly they spin up the motor.

First, that's a 3HP (2.2KW) VFD. Did you set P78 to your motor rated amperage? That wouldn't effect your acceleration issues but does protect your motor.

P34 sets "rising velocity", which looks to me like the acceleration rate. Should be fairly quick at a default of 25Hz/sec, but you could check that parameter.

Beyond that, the manual is poor. But those issues are not what I would expect with any decent VFD. Maybe try their tech support?

ill check that p 34. i missed that when i was setting it up. thanks

Check all the settings that would relate to your motor's specs and anything that looks like acceleration or ramp up speed or velocity
-M

Back