• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

VH2 HARDINGE UNIVERSAL MILLING MACHINE What' it worth?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

macrnr

Active User
VH2 HARDINGE UNIVERSAL MILLING MACHINE,
I am looking at this machine and wondering if it is worth pursuing. Your thoughts? How much?
Thanks, Mark

VH2 HARDINGE UNIVERSAL MILLING MACHINE.JPG View attachment 110506

Alan Douglas

Silent Key
Rest In Peace
I didn't know such a model existed. Looks like a UM with a permanently-installed vertical head. Does it take 5C collets?

I like my UM but the lack of a quill feed is a bother.

N

Nelson

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
These small mills get a premium price. I'd say anywhere from $750-$1500 is about right. Vertical head....sweet.... :drool:

You can buy a Burke #4 for less and it's a good machine. Someone on here was selling one I think. Vertical head is scarce for that machine though, You can put a BP M Head on it.

atwatterkent

Active User
That is actually a TM-UM horizontal mill with a factory vertical head I believe. This is what a Hardinge TM-UM horizontal mill looks like in it's real, normal life. I paid $700 for it a couple of years ago and felt it was a fair price. Check with the seller as to the whereabouts of the overarm, arbor support and arbor. He may have them in the back of a cabinet somewhere and forgot about them.

hardinge mill 41.JPG hardinge mill 43.JPG

macrnr

Active User
I suppose it is called a "Universal" because it can be either horizontal or vertical. I am far away from this machine so I am not able to put eyeballs on it. I will ask if they have additional parts for it.
Thanks to all for the help.
Mark

Alan Douglas

Silent Key
Rest In Peace
The Universal (UM) model allowed the table to swivel 30 degrees for helical cuts. I've always kept it locked at zero.

The usual vertical head was a Bridgeport accessory, in place of the overarm:

UM.jpg

UM.jpg

george wilson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
That looks like a model C head. Bridgeport offered some simple heads early on that could be used on other machines. Those little heads had a 1/2" collet maximum capacity,I think. The M head did. The M head is more complex,with a movable spindle. I have a rare high speed M head that will go 12,000 RPM.

What those Hardinge mills are worth probably depends upon where they are found. Around here,they sell usually for about $1200.00. Up in the North East,in the industrial states,possibly less. They are nice little mills,very well made,but with limited table travel. Probably good stable mates for a lathe like a South Bend 9" or 10".

[6]
[5] [7]