Victor lathe cone clutch function

gadjeep

Registered
Registered
My 1630 has an adjustable clutch in the apron but the manual doesn't describe anything about it's function, only how to adjust it. I'm wondering if it would work with a hard stop or if it's just for safety in case of a crash. Anyone know anything about it?

Not sure which Victor model you have, in many cases it is to set the feed tension and prevent damage from a hard stop or sudden increase in load. Not sure I would use it for hard stop, some lathe version have adjustable mechanical stops on a rod below the carriage that are used to kick out the longitudinal feed.
1692390288660.png

Not sure which Victor model you have, in many cases it is to set the feed tension and prevent damage from a hard stop or sudden increase in load. Not sure I would use it for hard stop, some lathe version have adjustable mechanical stops on a rod below the carriage that are used to kick out the longitudinal feedconfiguration
That is the same apron configuration on my machine, which is an early 1630, without auto lube or sumps in the feed box or apron.

There is a dropbox that someone else setup that has the manuals for the Victor 1600 and 2000 series lathes.

Messing around with the clutch, you probably could set it with hard stops. Can set the clutch very mild, even a push on the carriage can stop the feed.

If anyone figures out the indexing stop settings, let me know. There is a screw going into the bottom of the carrage that indexes off the stops but adjusted to the extreams, it's not doing anything. It looks like the button that screw is supposed to push in, is stuck on my lathe. Previous owner obviously made good use of the coolant system and the entire lathe is caked in this gummy oil based grease. Its a mess.

Back