Vintage 3 axis machine vise

I think definitely shop made, maybe a school project ?
Looks like someone gave it a lot of effort, for sure.

I would also say shop made. Maybe a trade school project. It would have gotten an A plus if I were the teacher. Clean it up, it looks very useable.
Martin

It very sad it’s so rusty as depending on how wide the vise opens that would make a great drill press vise. It’s not apparent how the rotation locks.

I can’t believe how handy rotation is on a drill press. I have an old Palmgrin 6”xy RT with a 3.5” speed vise on my DP and will never go back to not having a vise.

Looks homemade and well made. That rust doesn't look too bad- it should clean up nicely

That rust doesn't look too bad-
I guess I’m just rust shy after my resto of the Hardinge compound I attempted. It all depends on the clearance on the rod guides as it can be messy to get it to move nice. Whoever did that also did a wonderful job on the marking of the degree wheel. A+ job IMHO.

Surprisingly.. its covered in oil and years of dirt. 90 percent of it dont have a pit in it. Allen screw into a captive dog in the bas locks it. However, while its graduated on the Y axis and the Pivot, neither has a pointer, so i need to tram it in all angles and determine actual zeros

Cannot wait to see it all cleaned up. That is a cool home built vise.

Cutting oil is my blood.

it is a beauty. I'd vote for shop made by a machinist for a shop project. Apprentices are often given these projects after a few years.

Last edited:
Back