Vise size for PM935t

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Would a six inch vise fit this mill nicely? I had a four inch on my grizzly but it had a slightly smaller table.

Some people say that a 5" vise is a good fit for these size mills...I have a 6" vise on my PM-932m and think it's perfect. I don't think I would like a smaller vise. I have even made some 8" jaws and parralles to use with the 6" vise...

Last edited:
I have a 5" Glacern that I purchased new 4 years ago when I bought the mill but since have switched over to a Kurt 6" that I picked up used a couple of years ago that was in excellent condition. The 6" works well on the mill, I haven't put my 5" back on since purchasing the 6" but will keep it as a backup.

Mike

I've been trying to find a couple of pictures for comparison.

Here is my Glacern 5" on my PM935TV.
aoxmpw.jpg

2m63gbp.jpg

28atgus.jpg

Here is my Kurt D-675 6" vise but not a very good shot for dimension or size relationship.
f18c825fa53a69e3bdd801ac26e17c6c.jpg

Here it is cleaned up.
2istoq0.jpg

Personally, both sizes work well on this size mill table but I usually leave the Kurt on it.

Mike

Last edited:
I have an 8x36 with a 6" vise. Not much stick time yet, but seems to be a good fit so far.

I compromised with a 5" Kurt and 6" jaws. Best of both worlds for me, as I don't work on real large pieces and don't want the increased overhang off the front of the table that I'd get with a 6" vise.

I've been trying to find a couple of pictures for comparison.

Here is my Glacern 5" on my PM935TV.
aoxmpw.jpg

2m63gbp.jpg

28atgus.jpg

Here is my Kurt D-675 6" vise but not a very good shot for dimension or size relationship.
f18c825fa53a69e3bdd801ac26e17c6c.jpg

Here it is cleaned up.
2istoq0.jpg

Personally, both sizes work well on this size mill table but I usually leave the Kurt on it.

Mike
Not trying to derail the thread but a quick question. What material did you used for your table covers?

Not trying to derail the thread but a quick question. What material did you used for your table covers?

Nothing fancy, just some neoprene rubber from McMaster Carr. I had to order some for another project for a gentleman so I ordered a bit extra just to try it out. I like having the rubber so if I drop a part or for setting tooling/measuring instruments on it isn't metal on metal. I was worried about hot chips melting into them but so far after nearly 4 years they seem to be fine. On occasion some hot chips will stick but I simply lift the rubber cover up and brush the chips into the garbage can then wipe down with a rag and they look as good as new.

Mike

Nothing fancy, just some neoprene rubber from McMaster Carr. I had to order some for another project for a gentleman so I ordered a bit extra just to try it out. I like having the rubber so if I drop a part or for setting tooling/measuring instruments on it isn't metal on metal. I was worried about hot chips melting into them but so far after nearly 4 years they seem to be fine. On occasion some hot chips will stick but I simply lift the rubber cover up and brush the chips into the garbage can then wipe down with a rag and they look as good as new.

Mike

I actually went with the same sort of covers for my 935 table as well after seeing it on Mike's and made way-covers for my lathe with what I had left over. I just wanted to inject that Tractor Supply has the stuff in a few thickness as well if that's easier which is where I got mine.

I'll also add the mistake I made was finalizing the neoprene before I had finalized the vise position. I had the lathe excessively right limiting me on cutting from the right. When I ooched it left, I was out of neoprene so the rectangle I cut off the piece on the left came around and filled in on the right side. I also have a could of squares of it protecting the Kurt. Probably overkill but it was easy so it happened.

CW

Back