Vise stand using barbell weights as ballast

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm building a stand for my 5 1/2" Rock Island vise, and came up with an idea for adding weight to the base.

In my older years, I no longer need a stack of 25 lb. barbell plates that have been gathering dust. I decided to incorporate them into the base of the stand as shown in the pictures. There is room inside my 8 1/2" deep truck rim for 100 lbs. of 25 lb. plates, or 150 lbs. of 50 lb. plates.

I got this far today. I'll post pictures of the finished stand once I have the vise mounted.

IMG_4881.JPG IMG_4883.JPG IMG_4882.JPG

I'm building a stand for my 5 1/2" Rock Island vise, and came up with an idea for adding weight to the base.

In my older years, I no longer need a stack of 25 lb. barbell plates that have been gathering dust. I decided to incorporate them into the base of the stand as shown in the pictures. There is room inside my 8 1/2" deep truck rim for 100 lbs. of 25 lb. plates, or 150 lbs. of 50 lb. plates.

I got this far today. I'll post pictures of the finished stand once I have the vise mounted.

View attachment 444887 View attachment 444888 View attachment 444889
I guess that’s one way to do it. When I decided I needed a HD vise base I copied my FIL’s which was get a 18 wheeler rim. You could pick them up free or cheap at the local truck repair shops that were worn out or slightly damaged so we’re being scrapped. They are huge and heavy so make a great base but can be tilted and rolled around to be moved. I realized I no longer needed something like that and gave to my brother and he used it for blacksmithing.

This is the yard BBQ, base is a brake drum from a mountain base fire truck, wheel hub from same, then adaptor plate is 1.25 steel plate.

Even with hand truck it's hard to move.

Other drums in stock...no floor space for other tool stands.
52b9c2c32a437420f46762eecfe3c4ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I'm building another vise stand - this one for a Reed 3C I just acquired. It is about the same size and weight as the Rock Island vise, above.

I can either use the same size tube (4 1/2" OD) as the above stand, or a 7" OD tube cut from a c02 tank. The smaller tube is .237" wall and the larger tube is .1875" wall. Both are 24" long. I would probably use a 22" truck rim if I went with the larger tube. Which would you use?

Reed 3C 2.jpg tubes.jpg

Depends how hard you use the vise,but in my world bigger is usually better. Mike

Back