Vyndicator: wireless test indicator

Higher Precision

Registered
Registered
I am not a machinist, so I wanted to ask some of you who have much more experience in the field. Are there a lot of applications where you would need a wireless test indicator? I have not seen a lot myself, but are test indicators used a lot to where the operator can not see the display?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Below is a link to the mfg. website if you want to look at some additional information.

http://vyndicator.com/

There aren't too many places I would use a wireless. I did build a rig once to place a test indicator on a spindle mounted shaft about 6 feet up inside a bore. In that instance, we had to sweep the bore of the part to find center, not the OD, to put a port through the wall. As it was, we had an amplified electronic indicator with a wire lead. It worked, and never needed it again. I can't see a great advantage to wireless there. But then, a wireless would have been used had we not already been using a wired unit already. Any time you need to indicate a part, it's usually not a test indicator that comes out of the toolbox first, but if you have an already machined surface, it could be used. Assuming of course, that the part is not running out more than the travel range of the indicator.

As far as normal use of a test indicator, measuring parts on a surface plate, or making comparative measurements against a known standard (gage block stack), measuring runout of finished parts, again on a plate, I see no great advantage in the industry I serve. Depending on cost, perhaps even one use could justify the purchase in some cases.

Just one guy's opinion. What does the unit cost? Is it significantly larger or bulkier than a BesTest or Last Word, or Interapid?

That would be nice if it read 2 or 3 instruments with a longer travel/reading range such as calipers then applied as a DRO on your mill or lathe.

Back