Want To Learn Cnc Before I Get Mill

Thanks Joe
I will try what I have for now. That is wonderful. I have been to China 4 times and really respect the people and their culture. We would not do a lot of the things they do because we are too "lazy?".

Thanks Ed, Yes we are way too lazy. I love the street food in China. If you know what to watch for, so you do not get sick, the food is great.

Enjoy the CNC Ed, nothing is cooler than uploading a program and watching the mill cut the part.

Joe

An alternative might by to learn G coding and do your own software. I used AutoCad in my work, to design tooling, but used G codes to machine it, our machines weren't sophisticated enough to accept input software. I could stand at the console and punch in code, proof it visually and run the program, including tool changes, etc. You don't need fancy drawing interpretive programs. You've got a brain that can do that.

Tom,

30 years ago when I was hand writing g-code as CAD/CAM packages were very expensive and the small machine shop I worked in could not afford that I would agree with you.

But today there are tons feeware code that reads g-code and sends it to the controller I would ask why, other than an exercise. There are some pretty amazing mathematical software that controls tool speed up and slow down etc for you, calculates tool radius and threading algorithms.

If there were not so many packages around I would write one. Just my opinion. There are some very nice CAD/CAM packages that do so much for you these days. Just draw the part, run it through the CAM package and upload it to the control software such as Mach3 or Dawson software. That is unless you like writing such things.

Flustered

Thanks

Joe

Learning to hand code basic features helps you understand what the machine is doing. It also saves you from having to run around and go through the whole tool chain for a rudimentary part. Last weekend I hand coded an angled slot in less than an hour (including the production of the parts). Thats about what it would have taken to go upstairs, draw the part, run it through CAM, load the gcode and do some analysis for clearance issues (since the part barely squeeked by in a few areas as it was almost as long and as tall as I could concevibly manage).

While 99% of what you'll do should be CAM'd for efficiency sanity checks are a good thing as the machine doesn't fully understand your machine and clearance issues can happen. You can run a long program and watch it or you can scan the code if you understand it and see things that jump out at you.

knowing more is never a bad thing.

i have been trying Autodesk Fusion 360. I believe it is free to hobbyists and those who do less than 100,000 $ per year. I have found it to be pretty intuitive. seems very powerful. I spent a few hours and was able to create sketches of parts and post the gcode for my mach 3 cnc mill.

Just downloaded Fusion 360 and went through one of the tutorials - looks something like an elaborate version of Sketchup. I think I'll give it a try (it is free for Enthusiasts, Hobbyists, etc.). I have a simple part that I want to draw up and machine on my new CNC Mill once I get it home and running! I didn't realize it would generate G codes! Thanks!

I'd have to agree with Tom, there's nothing like using "gray matter" software. If you input your own code, it's easier to find your mistakes and fix them. Besides that, it gives you more of an idea of what the machine is actually doing, per line.
I started out with a Bridgeport R2E3 from a training school and learned to code every move. After the controller took a dump, I converted to an Anilam conversational controller, and now I can program right at the machine if I want. The good thing about conversational code is that it easy to understand and follow. If you wrote a program in conversational, you could re-write in G code just by looking at the command.
For someone just starting out, I would recommend something with a conversational controller to get you up and running and making chips. The cad and cam software can be had later.

Back