Want to mill T slots, need suggestions please.

Moving the table under the dial indicator can give you an entirely wrong reading of flatness. The table may be sagging on both sides as it travels, and there will be no way to know it, the indicator will still show it as good, especially when cut and measured in the same machine and setup. Yes, a "surface plate" in proper calibration is needed to see if it is indeed flat and parallel.

I was concerned about that very thing. Not sure how I can test it with what I have other than a straight edge maybe. I'll see what I can figure out. I know its straighter, flatter than a dirt road!!! :) :)

Slowly I get time to realize how slow I am making anything with my machines. I'm still having a great time so dont take that as negative. I decided to put the plate in the brand new, unused, 8 in 4 jaw I bought and turn the face. Indicated the part on the bottom of the t slots and faced it. Flipped it around and indicated the back side, just cur and faced the other side. Should have done this first due to jaw Mark's on the edges, but hey, I'm learning. Still not sure how flat it is, but I'm guessing(or hoping) it's pretty close. Since NASA isn't calling me to work for them, guessing it's not great, but not bad either.

20190102_171550.jpg

This is the base. This was scary to me but the only way I thought I could get the faces straight. Same as the t slot part, cut it, indicated on the back side, cut it again. I loosened up my gib and got a better finish on the other side than is being shown. I was cringing cutting this, this way, but .004 or so per cut seemed to do pretty good. I still have my fingers anyway!20190110_114037.jpg

Last edited:
And here is where it is now. Still more to do, but getting there. I made a math error, but was fixable to a minor degree. Tried something I havent done before too. Using end mills to cut approx .500 at a single time, rather than .070 or so at a time to get to .500. If anyone is wondering, learning as I go. I am surprised how much better it seems to cut. Maybe I should read some books!!! It has some marks from manual climb milling, by accident, but that's ok. I realized it and it gives it character right?!?!

20190117_192214.jpg

Back