Wanted small/medium horizontal/vertical, universal, ram type mill - willing to travel to collect

jomiller48

Registered
Registered
Hey all, yet another soul in search of what appears to be a rarity. I live in the southern MI area and simply don't see these types of machines pop up often. We can buy Bridgeports for days or Kearney/Trecker and Cincinnati Machines that weigh more than my house from old tool and die shops that are following the dodo birds but home/hobby/job shop size mills, I have yet to see one. My dream would be a Schaublin 13 but I'd appreciate any leads anyone can forward along. Thanks in advance.

-Josh

Hi Josh,

Welcome to the site.

Here's one for you.

Don't know if I would describe Traverse City as "southern" Michigan though ;)

Cheers,

John

Traverse City is certainly "southern" if you're from the Keeweenaw. I'm in GR now anyway, just never thought to update my profile when I moved. :oops2: Thanks for the suggestion.

-Josh

It likely is too small for what you want, but Grizzly does offer the G 0727 combo mill. A benchtop machine, it weighs about the same as my Atlas horizontal. It does have an odd size arbor and no specific accessories, which is why I don't have one already. But it is set up for R-8 tooling, which is a factor in its' favor. It is a Chinese machine, probably with a number of metric fittings, which is a factor against. But a consideration.

The Atlas MFC uses Morse Nr 2 tooling and I have a small (HF) vertical. So there is no rush on my part. As a model builder, not a machinist, my prioritys are different from most.

I know of a bench master, haven't seen it though......In Flagstaff AZ

Just wondering if you ever found anything?

I just spent 2 weeks in Michigan and perusing FB marketplace saw quite a few mills listed in this size range, even a clausing 8520 that looked complete and had basic tooling. If I needed one and had the money getting it would have been pretty easy. Also saw lots of tooling from "retired machinists" collections. My guess is a lot of stuff passed down from the greatest generation to baby boomers as they passed.

Back