Wanting Info on These Awesome Needle Files

There are many types of files that machinists seldom come in contact with. I've noticed on eBay and the like that sellers seldom recognize a good tool from a junk tool. They are salesmen, not producing anything. By the way, when I was younger, Globemaster tools were sold from bins at the local market. To call them junk would be complimentary in the extreme. In 1975, a Globemaster "Japanese" socket set cost a whole $0.99. Plus tax... ...

Now, about files; There are many specialty ones for unusual applications. Most of them are not that rare, feel free to use them up or make something else out of. In particular are "warding" files, used by locksmiths. There are two(2) styles, the American and the Swiss. American format are often(usually) called Swiss by people that don't know any better. The simplest way I have found is to find the "rat tail", or circular file. Look at the taper of the cutting edges. A smooth, continuous taper is a Swiss format. The other is of one size to within an inch or so of the tip. This is the American format. I use the Swiss format for model building and small electrical work. It suits what I'm doing.far better. The Arerican format also has their uses, just not what I do.

As a casual experiment, go to Harbor Freight and look up Swiss Files and Riffler Files. The Swiss files are actually American format, but HF doesn't know any better because most buyers don't know either. The set of rifflers I have from HF is OK, but used on plastic. I wouldnt recommend them to anybody, even rank beginners, for metal working. But the styles are very descriptive of what is available. Have a check book handy though, the vendors are quite proud of good files.

Safe Edge files are often(usually) made on a grinder. They can be bought, but when you need one, it's a right now situation. No time to run to the supply house. And the cost is usually higher because they're not "standard". Watch out for many other odd names, such as "three square". Don't dare go into HF or Home Depot and ask for one though. Only use that terminology with someone that knows what you want. Actually a triangular file, three sides, that I have several of. One on the bench, one at the lathe, two alongside my trains, one at wife's woodshop. And the usual half dozen in the tool boxes. Oh yeah, most are slightly tapered, I also have a couple that are straight. Oh yeah, in your first photo, the third from the right is an unusual flat, square file. A Points File, used for smoothing up the points in a distributer. (automotive) In my day, they were "giveaways", usually with adverts on the handles. These modern days where everything is electronics, they are getting a little scarce.

This is turning into a lecture, I apologize for running on about it. There are details most people never need. But a good selection you have acquired. All useful at one time or another.

Bill Hudson​
Bill, please feel free to lecture me any day. I am one of those strange people who, once I get my mind set on learning, wants to learn absolutely everything on the subject. I have joked with the guy I have been seeing that I should legally change my middle name to Overkill. Despite being a newbie, I have actually had many people (mostly sellers) ask me what line of work I was in due to my unusal knowledge on machine stuff. Several said they assumed I was a scientist or something, lol (actually, my younger sister was a NASA scientist, here in Mountain View). I love information from older, much more experienced machinists. Information from guys like you is information you typically can't get from books. Thank you Bill.

Back