Wanting to make a barrel for H&R break top rifle

All this talk about welding. IMHO, never a good idea at the highest pressure end of any gun. The independent welded ring idea makes great sense.

Anyone ever heard of dovetails? Profile all but the last 3" of breech end- mill flat, mill dovetail. Mate dovetailed lug to barrel...

Archangel- see you're in Shorewood- where do you shoot around there? (from Rockdale originally)

All this talk about welding. IMHO, never a good idea at the highest pressure end of any gun. The independent welded ring idea makes great sense.

Anyone ever heard of dovetails? Profile all but the last 3" of breech end- mill flat, mill dovetail. Mate dovetailed lug to barrel...

Archangel- see you're in Shorewood- where do you shoot around there? (from Rockdale originally)
Megasports for pistol, but the only (pocket change) affordable/decent (300 yards seen on Google maps) rifle range I have found so far is in Kingsbury Indiana.
Everyone else seems to want me to sign up a one year membership for $500 more because if you don't sign up for the whole thing you have to be a terrorist right?
Not kidding, that's what they said!

But the guys running the Kingsbury rifle range are really cool.

Kingsbury Shooting Range

Closed Mondays, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day. Open the following hours weather permitting:
Jan. 2-April 1: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
April 3-Oct. 7: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. (July 4: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
Oct. 9-Nov. 4: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Nov. 6-Dec. 31: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Fees for the range are $4 a day for age 18 and older, $2 a day for younger than 18 (under 18 must be accompanied by an adult), $10 a day for a family (ex: 2 adults and 2 children).
The shooting range is ADA compliant, safe, modern and staffed by qualified range officers.
Use of eye and ear protection is required of all participants and observers.
The range has 37 shooting positions: 10 positions at 50 yards, five positions at 100 yards, 18 positions at 10, 15 or 25 yards, and four shotgun stations.
The range includes a 25-yard pistol range, a 50-yard range, and a 100-yard range.
Bring your own targets and ammunition.
Indoor restrooms accessible to persons with disabilities are available.
Target practice is permitted only in established ranges.
Call (219) 393-1128.
Kingsbury Shooting Range brochure.

I'm not understanding the dovetail aspect.
Do you mean the barrel lug is dovetailed into the bottom of the barrel with a pin to secure it?
I do know double gun barrels are soldered together and front sights in revolver barrels are soldered (had to do that to my Iver Johnson revolver) so wonder if the dovetail (assuming I had the application correct) can be soldered.

I think you got the idea. Dovetails would run longitudinally- the female in the breech area of the barrel, the male on the lug. The pin would go perpendicular to the dovetail, with the pin passing through both dovetails. To conceal the dovetail, you would make both a bit shorter than the length of the lug. And yes, you can soft solder them too. The "compensator" pictured below actually has both longitudinal and cross dovetails and both the sight and the mag tube support are soldered into place. Parts were rust blued. To be honest, if I had better z-axis control on my cheap Grizz combo machine, I wouldn't have needed the soldering.

IMG_3821.JPG

I have pondered about a mechanical connection but just keep welding them 22 hornet image

20180103_191036.jpg

20180103_191029.jpg

Depending on the timeframe, H&R either silver soldered the lug on or welded it. I had thought about using either a dovetail or step in the barrelto create a "recoil lug" kind of situation then either braze it or have it TIG welded. I've also seen one monoblock made that had the lug integral with the top part and the barrel threaded into the block.

Back