Wards - Logan 10 x 24 question(s)

Almega

Active User
Registered
I recently picked up a 1942 Wards - Logan lathe and after cleaning the caked grease off, building a stand for it and getting it located and levelling it in with a precision machine level, I am beginning to play with it. I did a test run and after some adjustment to the tail stock it is parallel end to end within about 1/2 thou. My question is around the feed gears: when engaged they are loud in one direction but not so bad in the other. Sounds like they are going to rattle off. Is this normal or not and if not is there a fix? Also, has anyone found a way to plug or seal the oil hole in the head stock pulley so it doesn't leak oil out onto the surface and the belt?

It sounds like you just need to adjust the gears. They are too tight on one side. Center them up and you should be fine. They need a little oil also.

The oil hole in the cone pulley should be threaded for a set screw. Did you remove the set screw before oiling? Or, if it is missing you need to add it after oiling or indeed the oil will be thrown out the hole.

Hope that helps.

Steve

PS: pictures are required! :)

It sounds like you just need to adjust the gears. They are too tight on one side. Center them up and you should be fine. They need a little oil also.

The oil hole in the cone pulley should be threaded for a set screw. Did you remove the set screw before oiling? Or, if it is missing you need to add it after oiling or indeed the oil will be thrown out the hole.

Hope that helps.

Steve

PS: pictures are required! :)

I appreciate the response, Steve. I do have the gears well oiled and the tightness thing could be the issue. How do I loosen them up, just loosen the bolts holding them and slide them apart a bit?

On the oil hole, yes I do remove the set screw to oil, then replace it. Oil still seems to be able to get past it and onto the belt. It would be nice if it sealed with something removeable.

When I get the picture thing figured out, I will post some of my shop and also of a crank shaft for a steam engine that I started this weekend.

PS: I do like your tools list. Seems no one ever lists the ones that always bail you out - bigger hammer, Crescent wrench, WD-40 and duct tape.:))

Yes, just loosen the bolts and adjust. I assume you're talking the gears associated with the banjo. One trick is to use a strip of paper and run it thru the gears. That's about the right clearance you need.

That cone pulley only needs a couple drops of oil every month or so - depending on how much you use the lathe. Sounds like you may be over oiling.

Steve

Yes, just loosen the bolts and adjust. I assume you're talking the gears associated with the banjo. One trick is to use a strip of paper and run it thru the gears. That's about the right clearance you need.

That cone pulley only needs a couple drops of oil every month or so - depending on how much you use the lathe. Sounds like you may be over oiling.

Steve

The gears can be adjusted by sliding in the banjo slot(s) or by rotating the banjo on the leadscrew/QCGB input boss DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE BANJO CLAMP !! Mine is also noisier one direction than the other . Keeping them well lubed with a mix of gear oil and moly grease helps . Worn bushings in the reversing gears is probably a lot of my noise .

Snag

The gears can be adjusted by sliding in the banjo slot(s) or by rotating the banjo on the leadscrew/QCGB input boss DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE BANJO CLAMP !! Mine is also noisier one direction than the other . Keeping them well lubed with a mix of gear oil and moly grease helps . Worn bushings in the reversing gears is probably a lot of my noise .

Snag
With regard to the bushings (mine is also much noisier in reverse than forward) are these readily available or are they something special that will need to be fabricated? If they need to be made, does anyone know the specifications?

:worthless:

Can we see, can we, can we?

:worthless:

Can we see, can we, can we?
I think you might be a voyeur, but none the less, when I get a chance I will take some shots this weekend. What would you like to see (and please keep it clean)?

And I really would like to know how to do the little sign guys.

I think you might be a voyeur, but none the less, when I get a chance I will take some shots this weekend. What would you like to see (and please keep it clean)?

And I really would like to know how to do the little sign guys.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Good one Scott, but no. I just like looking at the pictures. :rocker: I want see your machine, the type aren't important, just make sure they are in focus. :lmao:

When you reply to a thread, look to the far right (that's where they are on my machine) and you'll see them all staring back at you. If you need more of a selection, choose the [more] button and a new window will appear with a lot more to choose from. Start slow, as it can be bad for your health to rush into it. :lmao:

Here are some pics of my Ward's 10 x 24 lathe. It doesn't necessarily look real pretty with fresh paint and all, but I actually like the patina and character of the way it looks. So, I 'm not sure I will do much more to the cosmetics, I am more interested in the function and performance.

Lathe 001.jpg
Here is a look at the gears.

Lathe 003.jpg

Lathe 004.jpg

Lathe 002.jpg

Lathe 001.jpg Lathe 002.jpg Lathe 003.jpg Lathe 004.jpg

Back