Wards - Logan 10 x 24 question(s)

I've got a 1947 64-TLC.
She has her limits, especially with the lantern tool post.
However, I wouldn't trade her, she was my first.
Keep her oiled and she will serve you well!

looks almost just like my wards/Logan

I've got a 1947 64-TLC.
She has her limits, especially with the lantern tool post.
However, I wouldn't trade her, she was my first.
Keep her oiled and she will serve you well!

Yeah, mine is a 84 TLC - 2136. Scott Logan said 1948 IIRC.
You never know, but this lathe will probably be it for me.
I am glad to have it though.

i like the looks of the logan, nice lathe!
i have not had the pleasure of making chips on one. i'll have to find someone who has one...

It does seem to do a decent job of making chips and is certainly far more capable than the current operator, but I am learning. I have a fair amount of scrap metal, bits and pieces of HR and CF steel and aluminum, that I have accumulated over the past few years from other endeavors, that I can play with. Lots of fun thus far. I am in the process of building a cabinet to fit into the stand in the space below the lathe that will hold tooling and parts. I will provide some pictures when that is done.

Re the gear noise. Your gears look real clean (not lubed enough). Everyone has a favorite gear lube. I use Mercury Marine lower unit lube. Mostly because I have it. Having said that, it's really good. It sticks to the gears and holds a nice film. Those boat guys know what they're doing.
I've found that the gears will wear in over time. If you flip the gears around you will get different sounds.
I had to replace the main gear on the head shaft and a kindly gentleman gave me one he had laying around. I HAVE NEVER HEARD A GEAR HOWL LIKE THAT. Even old drag cars with gear driven parts.
It turned out the gear had worn tapered somewhat and was beyond salvage. Off to Logan to buy a new one. Ouch.
Lesson here is is DON"T shift the reversing lever until the lathe is totally stopped.

Thanks for all of the advise. The lathe runs like a champ and with the right lube on the gears, it quieted right down. Now I have sold it because I am moving to Denver and won't have a place right away. I hope to purchase another once I finally get settled out there. I will keep track of things on this sight and hopefully be able to mine the vast knowledge again in the not too distant future.

what are you using on the gears, the Mercury Marine lower unit lube mentioned above?

Back