Waste

If you were to ask my wife she'd tell you that I strew it randomly about the house. :D
Nothing is off limits the carpets, the kitchen floor, the laundry machines, the pets.
It seems to ride in on pant cuffs, boot tops and in my beard.

-brino
LOL!! When I worked a machine shop for a living and it came laundry time, the wife would not allow my clothes in with hers or her washing machine....had to get my own washer!

Metal will go a lot farther if you can do some welding. I'm not sure that fiddly MIG is the right welder for saving metal. Perhaps a combo stick TIG welder? I have a Miller Maxstar, and it saves a lot of metal. Instead of machining something down, I can just add a stub. You have to be careful, welding can take a lot of time.

I keep my alu and steel/shreds separate so I can take them to the scrap yard and exchange them and some $ for more metal to make into chips! Last time I actually came out of it a dollar richer, so that was a good day :)

Metal will go a lot farther if you can do some welding. I'm not sure that fiddly MIG is the right welder for saving metal. Perhaps a combo stick TIG welder? I have a Miller Maxstar, and it saves a lot of metal. Instead of machining something down, I can just add a stub. You have to be careful, welding can take a lot of time.
Clearly you've been reading my welding thread :)
I definitely can see a MIG/TIG combo in my future. Hard to justify at this point as a hobbyist who's trying to outfit the shop and reno the shop.

Last edited:
I save mine in 5 gallon buckets. Once I have 5 or 6 buckets full I take it to the scrapper. I usually hit their used steel section up for some deals since I am there.

Back