Watchmakers Case Vise

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
I have a friend, Earnst, who makes Wristwatches. He engraces the cases by hand. He askes if I could make him a vise to 3 point hold the cases. This is the start. Should have it ready for him tomorrow.

"Billy G" :))

wv (750 x 563).jpg View attachment 97613

I asked Earnst about a round base for the vise. He said absolutely not. He can move the square about easier because of his arthritis. His grip is not as heavy as it used to be.

This is where we are. Only the adj. screw to go. It will ber a 6-32 screw with a wing nut to adjust the tension.

"Billy G" :))

wv 001 (750 x 563).jpg View attachment 101077

From your first picture I was stumped on how it was going to work, now I see the 3 pins and all is good now.
Pierre

Ought to try your hand at anodizing, Bill. As you know, bare aluminum will turn your hands black if handled a lot.

Gonna have to give that a try Tony. Doesn't seem that difficult from what I have read.

"Billy G" :thinking:

It's really a pretty basic process and can be done at "home" with only a few inexpensive items. I have a friend who was in the commercial biz for a good many years, and even in his shop, ordinary anodizing was not a complicated, expensive process. I believe any hobbyist who makes things from aluminum should consider it. It gives parts a real "finished" look, pardon the pun.

Back