Waterless hand cleaner?

RYAN S

Registered
Registered
Unfortunately my home shop does not have running water, and it is highly frowned upon when I use the kitchen sink to clean my hands... Also every time back into the house is another opportunity to be put on a non shop project:( My question is what have others found as a good way to keep hands clean in a shop without running water?

Ryan

I use these. I get em from my local IMS (metal supplier). My local MSC also carries them. I buy the bigger bucket for the home shop & keep the smaller size bucket in my truck.

Many times I just need a quick wipe of my hands so if one of them is not very dirty I don't throw it away. I just spray some alcohol on it to get it wet again & reuse it. Spraying water on it would probably work too & is probably safer.

They last me a while though cause I will go inside or out to the yard to wash my hands if really filthy.

scrubs-all-purpose-cleaners-itw42272ea-64_1000.jpg

Blue nitrile gloves. They can be reused a few times
Waterless hand cleaner leaves a coating on your hands that needs to be washed off.

The soapy water in a spray bottle idea is a also good. Use paper towels to dry so you don't need to use the clothswasher for grungy towels.

My favorite hand soap is called Beaver Nut Scrub it will clean your hands better than anything else...... Seriously its better than any other product, I was very lucky at work one day recently I saw and used it at a customer's shop and now its the only product I buy..... Throw out the GoJo cleaner!
20200203_202711.jpg
This is the only place I have been able to find it for sale or you can call the company to order direct.....

Last edited:
My combination works well for me, maybe not so well for others. First off, I wear (blue)nitrile gloves when I'm in either the electric or the mechanical shops. And often with the wood and blacksmith work. But my hands are big, as in "extra large" is a barely fit, fingers too short big. I've been told they were called "pianist hands". I can span a basketball with one hand big.
But the nitrile lasts well enough in the palms and wrists. Then I have a "bucket" of scrubs near the door to catch where the nitrile gloves gave way. And then I put in stainless plumbing in the kitchen. Wife keeps "Dawn" or somelike in a dispenser.
Further considerations are that the kitchen and washing machine drain through a grease trap, lavatories and bathtub drain into the "garden". Only the toilets drain into a cess pool. Codes be damned, they are minimums, not standards.
The grease trap on the kitchen drains and the stainless plumbing I put in because I live a dirty life. Although an engineer, I'm not really "into" the job unless it's greasy dirty. Called "earning my keep", to quote Pop.

How much nasty?

When working on cars we make a bucket of laundry soap water and put a rag in it.

The soap cuts the grease and rag wipes off.

Another bucket with clean water to rinse.

The soap water stays good for days, think weekend and rinse water as needed.

Current newspaper is very absorbent so good for drying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back