Waterless hand cleaner?

Waterless hand cleaner with lanolin used to be found in all the machine shops and auto shops. It came in a one gallon can that you would invert and attach to a pump dispenser. It was about the consistency of light grease, and you could wipe it off with a shop rag and go on about your day with clean hands. I used to see it sold in tubes and cans at the auto supply place, but since that ho-hum orange smelling stuff with pumice came out and (inexplicably) took over, it's not as easy to find. Still out there, you just need to hunt for it. I like it because I can keep it in a truck toolbox and wash my hands on the side of the road or trail if life gets greasy.

a way to keep your hands from getting really messed up in the first place is to play offense...
if i know i'm gonna be diggin' around in something that's gonna make me puke or anything with heavy gear oil on it, i wear nitrile or latex gloves

otherwise, before working, i drop about a dime size spot of liquid Dawn dishsoap and rub it all in and under my fingernails the best i can.
when the fun ends, i wet up and add more dawn and wash up. most times it takes care of everything without much heavy scrubbing.

i go to the trouble of making small batches of pre-mixed soap/water mixtures in gallon jugs to take to remote locations and when i go rough camping.
wet a microfiber towel with a soap heavy mixture and it works wonders :eagerness:

the tuff towels and the other textured waterless wipes are great too,
but i always seem to get the slimy feel on my hands after, that is a little annoying

Speaking of offense, I used to have this or a product similar to it. It was a long time ago, I can't remember if it actually worked well though & where the bottle went. Maybe I threw it away cause it was junk.

71K4dPDb2kL._SX466_.jpg

After I’ve finished working like a beaver, and running around putting away tools like a squirrel hiding a nut I like to scrub my hands with detergent and the little brushes used by surgeons.

See what I did there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I picked up some of the ZEP wipes from menards. I will give them a shot! As for the rubber gloves I have a full supply in the shop but they are hard to remember before I get dirty:)

Thanks for all of the ideas!

I used to use Boraxo hand cleaner. It's powder, so I mixed with water. It cleans grease super super well. My hand is spotless afterward. The problem is that lately, my liver function test went elevated. They said borax is very poisonous for the body. So I now stop using it.

Back