Way covers

ghack

Registered
Registered
What are you all using on your mills ? i have used the standard rubber but they all fail in short order. get cut, even split from coolant.

I have some thick (3/4") cardboard*, that the lathe came in, that I cut to fit the rotary table and the mill table extensions.
These have proven satisfactory for the 3 years I have been using my shop.
{Would not be ideal if you are using water based coolant/lube, but I only use oils.}

Alternatives:: plywood, foam, laminate, tiles
If you can put alignment rows under the material, so much the better.

Not talking about the table. im talking about front and back on a mill to cover the y axes ways.

A buddy gave me a large piece of some sort of rubber membrane. I cut out sections and it has worked great so far.

My Jet clone came with the accordion pleated ones as standard on the front and a rubber sheet type on the back. Both work OK. I suspect you can buy good replacements from places like McMaster-Carr or dubious ones on fleabay.

Use neoprene, the coolant won't effect it. Go for 1/16" thick for lots of flexibility. !/8" would also work just a little stiffer. I have the accordion type on the front of the Y axis , and and a sheet on the rear. 4 years and no issues.

I use Neoprene, too. Works good, no problems.

On my old index mill I used an old leather attaches case. After the seams were taken apart i would hang it from motor mount down to the back of the table. It worked great to cover the back of the mill. It was flexible and you could easily unhook it to clean the swarf .
Cheers
Martin
1601166788978.jpeg

I coated fiberglass cloth with plasti-dip; worked well for years. Getting ready to re-do with siliconized fiberglass (caulk diluted with mineral spirits) and a rolling shutter core.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back