Way oil gun

akjeff

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The circa 1984 Lagun FTV-1 that's on it's way, only has a partial "one shot" oil system. The pump that's in the saddle, oils the table slide, cross slide, and nuts. The vertical knee slides still have Zerk fittings, but they are not grease fittings! The oilers I found online were either cheap looking plastic affairs, or expensive( though likely of good quality). Saw several references on line that suggested modifying a grease gun. So, that was my POTD.

Hit NAPA on the way home, and got one of the compact one hand operation type grease guns. Cut off the plunger, removed the guts, and gave it a toot in the blast cabinet. Cut a slug off the end of a piece of round stock, that would fill in/cover the hole left by the plunger. Welded the slug in place, and figured the heat most likely wrecked the press fit of the end cap, and was probably going to leak anyway. So, went ahead and welded the end cap on the tube as well.

Cleaned it up with another brief sand blast, followed by hot soapy water and rinse. Put some teflon tape on the threads, filled it with Vactra, and screwed on the pump. Turned it upside down, and after a few priming pumps, it worked like a champ! Going to leave it set over night for a leak check, and decide if it's worth cleaning up enough for a coat of paint.IMG_7400.JPG
IMG_7401.JPG
IMG_7402.JPG
IMG_7403.JPG

I don't think that you will be able to return that grease gun now. :grin: I was going to do something like that but I sold the mill and it's replacement has a one shot system that gets everything.

Richard

That AVE guy is pretty smart. Particularly with electro mechanical stuff. I think he tries too hard with the funny business and that if he'd cut that "right half in two" he would be even better. :) I watch most of what he puts up.

Pleased to report that the oil gun passed the leak test, both right side up and upside down! And I like how the sandblasted steel tube now matches the cast pump head, so no paint.......done!

I am a proud owner of a Schaublin SV-51 milling machine. This machine practically runs with oil. There are no grease nibble, those are all OIL nibbles. Especially the pivoting milling head needs a lot of oil. Even the spindle bearings are oiled.
So I needed an oilcan with some oil capacity. Made one out of a paintgun.

Back