Way oil sulfur content/McMaster "clear" vs "amber" way oil

MikeMT

Registered
Registered
I've noticed that McMaster sells gallon jugs of unbranded (in the catalog anyway) ISO68 way oil. The price is quite reasonable for a small quantity compared to what I see around the internet, especially considering McMaster is a known source with a reputation for quality. My question is about the "clear" vs. "amber" varieties they sell and sulfur in way oil. I would post links to the McMaster catalog pages but it won't let me.

The catalog says the difference is that amber colored way oil contains sulfur which resists wear better than the clear; clear doesn't contain sulfur (but therefore limits bacteria growth and is safe for the environment). Otherwise specs appear virtually identical. The McMaster website also lists Vactra No. 2 as an "amber" colored oil, so based on that and the other specs the "amber" version of McMaster's appears to be a nearly identical replacement for Vactra No. 2.

...except I've read elsewhere on this forum that lubricants containing sulfur will and stain your ways and worse soften the metal and corrode brass! That would suggest the clear way oil is the only way to go--but I can't believe that McMaster would sell a way oil that softens the ways and corrodes brass, or that anyone would buy it. There must be a distinction I'm missing here? Does the McMaster amber colored way oil appear to be suitable where Vactra No. 2 is specified?

Thanks for any thoughts and comments!

Mike

Why not use the clear?

How much wear do you expect on a hobby machine?

Cutting oils contain active sulfur, the presence of active sulfur and/or chlorine in some straight oil products react with moisture from either coolant or moisture in the air to cause staining and corrosion of machine tools and machined parts. So one might use cutting oil for turning (cleaning up afterwards) but I would not use it as way oil. Way oil has tackifiers which help it stick to the ways and not quickly squish out with movement. Looking at McMaster's listing they list Mobil Vactra as amber, so color (clear vs. amber) by itself may not be an indicator of sulfur content. I would not use a sulfur based oil for ways/moving surfaces, unless specifically indicated by the manufacturer. As indicated, active sulfur will attack yellow metals, so I would not use it in the carriage if there is an a passive or active oiling system to the ways.

I changed to Chevron Way oil Vistac It coats, and stays in place, definitely tacky.
I recently switched to Sunoco 1180 Way Oil. It too seems to stick to the ways far better than the Vactra 2 I have been using for years and the price is better too.

Way oil is not available in my area, so I'm using chain saw bar oil. So far it's ok.

Thanks all for the responses. Seems like if going with the unbranded McMaster, the "clear" would be the safest bet. Or of course one of the other options mentioned.

Back