Way oil

Litshoot

Registered
Registered
Sorry to post as im not sure if this is a common thread like in others, searches havent netted much except that i screwed up. have a jr 9 lathe, and just ordered iso 22 way oil. Should i cancel this quickly for iso 68. it was 5 gallons so im thinking that may be a mistake as a beginner restoring a lathe i dont know how quick im going to go through it. on side ive heard it can also be used as a generic cutting oil. is that a bad idea?

I don't know about the question you raise on the 22 vs 68; but, as a hobbiest, 5 gallons is way (no pun intended) too much for me. I have a gallon that will probably last me forever. In any event, if you can change the order, I would change it to 68. But, I am sure others with more experience will chime in.

A gallon will last a Loooong time. Change the order if you can. If not maybe you can fill some containers and sell some to your friends!
Richard

5 days to arrive, but 30 minutes from time of order is too late to cancel. So who has alternative uses for way oil. can i use it as a cut, maybe oil slick from the back of my car if i become a spy.

You might go through it faster than you think. Depending on how many machines you have and how often you use them. By the time I fill up the oilers on my surface grinder, 2 mills, and the oil cans at both lathes that amounts to at least a quart. Do that a couple of times a year and I can go through a gallon in no time.

You might go through it faster than you think. Depending on how many machines you have and how often you use them. By the time I fill up the oilers on my surface grinder, 2 mills, and the oil cans at both lathes that amounts to at least a quart. Do that a couple of times a year and I can go through a gallon in no time.
Is that an oil that i can use for all the points on this lathe. the little cups for spindle bearings, coating the screws, gears and ways. Its my only machine and im looking to do hobby amounts of work. well it will be kept moist i guess, does the oil draw in water or go bad?

Don't know about spindle bearings. You would have to see what the manufacture recommends. But it will be fine on the screws and ways. Gears maybe but I think 22 is going to be too thin and not cling like a thicker oil would. As long as you keep the bucket closed the oil should keep indefinitely.

Way oil should have tackifiers in it to make it tacky (sticky). You can also use it for chainsaw bar oil.

Sorry to post as im not sure if this is a common thread like in others, searches havent netted much except that i screwed up. have a jr 9 lathe, and just ordered iso 22 way oil. Should i cancel this quickly for iso 68. it was 5 gallons so im thinking that may be a mistake as a beginner restoring a lathe i dont know how quick im going to go through it. on side ive heard it can also be used as a generic cutting oil. is that a bad idea?
I find Vactra 2(iso 68) a little thin for mill and lathe horizontal surfaces, to make it stickier I add about 10-20 % Husqvarna chain bar oil. It is easily available at Lowes and is a good price. For vertical surfaces I add even more bar oil. Make sure you have good wipers or the sticky stuff catches and holds chips.Also helps to clean often, which is more difficult in a commercial working environment.

South Bend specifies 3 different oils. You can buy all 3 in appropriate quantities here:

I find Vactra 2(iso 68) a little thin for mill and lathe horizontal surfaces, to make it stickier I add about 10-20 % Husqvarna chain bar oil. It is easily available at Lowes and is a good price. For vertical surfaces I add even more bar oil. Make sure you have good wipers or the sticky stuff catches and holds chips.Also helps to clean often, which is more difficult in a commercial working environment.
I believe Vactra 2 has been reformulated for continuously pumped CNC machines. It is not as tacky as it used to be. I am using reclaimed Vactra 2 for way oil and bar and chain oil. I like the idea of using commercial B&C oil to improve the "tackiness"

Back