Way Wipers

Thanks Richard. I am in need of some new ones for my lathe.
Ted

That looks like a good option. My wipers are toast, and the only guy I found willing to make a set 3d prints them. I'm not sure how great they are, there is no labyrinth to the seal and I am not sure about the plastics. And he need me to make cad files, which means a lot of time up front.

What do people normally do about replacing wipers when no wipers are available? It would be easy to do felt sheet, but I don't want the wear and I feel like we're past that with rubber wipers now. This spanish strip seal material looks great, but somehow smells of high cost. Hobby, not commercial, so I don't have plans to write off expenses. My machines make anything but money.

That looks like a good option. My wipers are toast, and the only guy I found willing to make a set 3d prints them. I'm not sure how great they are, there is no labyrinth to the seal and I am not sure about the plastics. And he need me to make cad files, which means a lot of time up front.

What do people normally do about replacing wipers when no wipers are available? It would be easy to do felt sheet, but I don't want the wear and I feel like we're past that with rubber wipers now. This spanish strip seal material looks great, but somehow smells of high cost. Hobby, not commercial, so I don't have plans to write off expenses. My machines make anything but money.
I'm in the same boat with my Samson (Tida 5AA). Need to make something but want to do it right. These ones seem suited for production CNC machines.

John

I usd to buy Garlock wiper material from a local industrial bearing shop. SKF bought Garlock and you can buy them from them. They came in 18: strips and you cut them, drilled them and sometime drilled new holes in the machining saddles, etc. https://www.skf.com/us/products/industrial-seals/hydraulic-seals/wiper-seals
also from McMaster Carr.

Richard, thanks for the McMaster link. Is around $150/meter the going rate from the others, too?

SKF is in 18"lengths or they were when Garlock made them - they used to be cheaper than the McMaster wipers. I haven't bought any for a few years. Call someone that sells ball bearings and oil seals. They should be able to sell the SKF to you. Rich

This is what I'm working with for original way wipers. The only one that isn't a primitive angle or dovetail is the tailstock quill wiper, which i'm guessing is a 80mm circular seal held on by a 4x100mm square bolt pattern on a square mounting face. I could knock off an automotive wiper seal retainer adapter easily enough from a piece of scrap plate if I can match the diameter, so that might not be an issue to replace. There are 4 more wipers on the tail stock like the v- and box- way wipers on bottom, and a second dovetail wiper for the compound..

Attachments

• PXL_20221001_180922905.jpg
    PXL_20221001_180922905.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 24
You know, if it ends up looking like a couple-few hundred to source wiper material, I could just dump that money into one of those funky cracker jack prize making machines- I mean, 3d printers (sorry if I offend any of you) and try that. Everybody seems to think you just close your eyes and imagine a part, and the printer just prints it when you push the green button. I mean, who ever thought of such a thing, where you buy a flexible new technology and don't have to spend years and thousands learning how to use it. All those manufacturing engineers are spinning their wheels learning how things work so they can manipulate the technology in a meaningful way, the fools. Print me some wipers, then print me a full-size plastic howitzer next.

Back