We Have Arrived!

That looks like a really nice setting, the house looks very welcoming.

-frank

Yikes! 1-2mb? Is it even possible to use? If I didn't need to keep working for a few more years I'm not sure I would care. For work I have been sent up to 10gb files. Not going to happen with what I have now.
Just imagine trying to do remote support at that speed. The screen updates so slowly I sometimes have to ask the client if they see the cursor moving just to be sure I haven't lost connection entirely. Large files can take 12-24 hrs. to download if the connection doesn't drop. Forget about uploading them.

I only live 2.5 miles from town, I get 4.5 meg down and 768k up. It works for me but just barely.

As we speak....

1630961266006.png

Just in case anyone is planning to move to an area with Frontier as your (non) service provider.

I used to have Frontier, but luckily they sold the area I live in to a small company from the Northwest. My service hasn't improved but at least when I call in I get to talk to someone in Washington.

We went from Frontier to HughesNet, after having lived in Atlanta with 100MB/s+. My internet felt faster with my original ISDN line in the mid 90's.

I just ran a speed test: 57.9Mbps down, 52.7Mbps upload. We are in town and have the cheapest plan available. Seems OK, I can stream movies and the like w/o problems.

I live in farm country. max speed is 6mb.. from century link.
I want to go back to cable, they finally went bidirectional here for cable but the wife doesn't want to lose her email from century link... too many things attached to it.

cable company used to have a modem for down, but used phone for up... and when things went bad, they pointed to the phone company, and the phone company pointed to them.. after years of that nonsense, DSL finally arrived and it was great for a long while. But cable finally put fiber in and century link has dropped the ball so many times.. it appears they want to stop offering their residential service because if you stop using them, they won't let you back.

The joys of being an absentee landlord! I did that for a few years; just long enough to know I don't want to ever do it again.

I live in farm country. max speed is 6mb.. from century link.
I want to go back to cable, they finally went bidirectional here for cable but the wife doesn't want to lose her email from century link... too many things attached to it.

cable company used to have a modem for down, but used phone for up... and when things went bad, they pointed to the phone company, and the phone company pointed to them.. after years of that nonsense, DSL finally arrived and it was great for a long while. But cable finally put fiber in and century link has dropped the ball so many times.. it appears they want to stop offering their residential service because if you stop using them, they won't let you back.
I deal with this all the time. Customer switches ISP and forgets that they also provided email account. A year later, without notification, the ISP purges email account. Get her to switch to Gmail or some other email provider that is not affiliated with an ISP now, while it can be done gracefully and on your terms.

Frontier has also "capped" service to numerous neighborhoods in my area. They over-sold the service, selling more than they could provide. Now there is no new service available, even if someone has cancelled. For some reason the speed still doesn't improve.

Back