Webb/Takisawa TSL-800D, curious if there are other owners here

Novice here. I have read the thread about the Webb/Takisawa TSL-800D with great interest and can see that there are some satisfied owners out there. I am currently looking at a good condition Taiwan unit where the present owner seems not to know much about the machine (I think he is selling from buyer's remorse. He advertised a lovely Clausing 13x40 but when we arrived, began pushing the TSL-800 which he had recently bought and decided he didn't need) The Takisawa is a better size for us, and looks to be in good shape, but has limited tooling (has a 8" 3 jaw Buck chuck, steady rest qctp live and dead centers jacobs chuck, but the 4 jaw chuck he bought he says won't fit) There is no collet closer. It has an A1 spindle mounting system. The motor is a 3-5 hp dual speed 3 phase motor and is a much better size for us than the Clausing. Our intended use is making parts to repair farm machinery and shop projects, one off mostly, no production. The ways are good, head has no vibration or bad sounds and it appears to have little wear.

So here are some questions: is there any availability of used parts for this? I didn't see much on ebay or craigslist. Are there any specialty houses that might carry this sort of thing? I see that Takisawa has a distributor in the US but all the stuff on their site is modern industrial. We would like to get a collet closer (it has none) and if we can't adapt the 4 jaw chuck and faceplate, ones of those (I think this would be possible, even thought the present owner had given up)

Next, I pretty much know how to set up a variable speed controller to take our shop 220 1 ph to 3 ph, but how do you do it with this dual speed motor? Any special knowledge for that?

Last is price: he says he has "$4000 in it and wants to get his money back" Given the lack of tooling and his obvious desire to get rid of it, I would offer him $3000 and try to get him to throw in something else we can use. He has a nice shop with two Bridgeports, a SB heavy 10, the Clausing and every collet ever made, so I think we could pick up something. Does this price seem reasonable? Any obvious pitfalls I have overlooked?

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

On the one hand they are orphans: never made/imported in sufficient quantities to have generated a used spare parts base here in the US. I don't think any of us Takisawa owners have developed a knee-jerk reaction to turn to Craigslist or eBay when needing a part. Used machine tool dealers have very little as well. Supposedly the US Takisawa distributor has parts availability but I've never gone there. It took a year or two but found satisfactory deals on chucks on eBay. Mine came with a Royal collet closer which while aftermarket was installed by the original owner in 1978 so I wonder if there ever was a factory part on that. The previous owner worked for a Takisawa dealer so he certainly had access if a factory part existed. Most I see even here on this forum have Royal closers.

On the other hand whether the price is $3K or $4k it matters little if it is in clean working order. There is nothing to compare it to at those prices.

On the one hand they are orphans: never made/imported in sufficient quantities to have generated a used spare parts base here in the US. I don't think any of us Takisawa owners have developed a knee-jerk reaction to turn to Craigslist or eBay when needing a part. Used machine tool dealers have very little as well. Supposedly the US Takisawa distributor has parts availability but I've never gone there. It took a year or two but found satisfactory deals on chucks on eBay. Mine came with a Royal collet closer which while aftermarket was installed by the original owner in 1978 so I wonder if there ever was a factory part on that. The previous owner worked for a Takisawa dealer so he certainly had access if a factory part existed. Most I see even here on this forum have Royal closers.

On the other hand whether the price is $3K or $4k it matters little if it is in clean working order. There is nothing to compare it to at those prices.
Thank you for the information. it certainly seems like a well made machine

Just acquired a Webb imported TSL-800D and in the process of tearing it down for cleaning. Bought for $2500 once everything was said and done.

The wiring diagram for the 2 speed motor should be on a plate on the motor. You should be able to get to in behind the vent cover on the back of the lathe. You may have to clean some gunk off to see it. I have some pictures off the 2-speed motor that show how the leads are wired when in either speed. I'll look for them later this evening but it may not be the same motor as yours so it is best to find the plate.

Just acquired a Webb imported TSL-800D and in the process of tearing it down for cleaning. Bought for $2500 once everything was said and done.

The wiring diagram for the 2 speed motor should be on a plate on the motor. You should be able to get to in behind the vent cover on the back of the lathe. You may have to clean some gunk off to see it. I have some pictures off the 2-speed motor that show how the leads are wired when in either speed. I'll look for them later this evening but it may not be the same motor as yours so it is best to find the plate.
Found it on my phone.. For my motor, in the high speed 4 pole config power the motor with leads 1,2,3 and leave 4,5,6 open. The opposite for low speed 6 pole.

Attachments

• messages_0 (5).jpeg
    messages_0 (5).jpeg
    416.8 KB · Views: 3
Can one of you with a royal 5C collect closer w/ an A2-5 spindle mount give me dimensions on the nose adaptor? I have the lever etc but not the nose cone.
Thanks

I don't know how to contact an admin in order to create a Webb/Takisawa sub forum and put all these posts there. Pretty sure we've reached critical mass by now.

Anyway, after using my new-to-me lathe a bit, I'm pretty sure that I have a worn cross thread. Has anyone replaced theirs, and if so, what was involved. I haven't started looking yet but assume that Webb doesn't have new ones (or they're $$$). Is it as straightforward as getting a section of Acme thread (if that's what it is) and machining the ends to suit?
KB, do yo still have this lathe?? If so can you get me some info on your thread chasing dial? I am mentaly prepared for making my own, but a couple of numbers would certainly help. Thank you Jim V

Can one of you with a royal 5C collect closer w/ an A2-5 spindle mount give me dimensions on the nose adaptor? I have the lever etc but not the nose cone.
Thanks
A may be able to help with the collet nose. Jim V

Thanks
still looking?? also if you have the thread chasing dial I need some info from it. Jim V

New Takisawa 800 owner here!

I was passively looking to replace my 12” Clausing and a friend informed me about a Maxturn he knew about. It reminded me of the Morei Seiki lathe that I ran at my last job so I had to take a closer look.

It needs some attention but it is fully functional. I made a deal with the owner and left a deposit, probably scoop it up in the next week or so. Have a great weekend.

Jimmy VIMG_4345.jpeg

Back