[Lathe] Weiler Condor VS2

Isberg

Registered
Registered
Hello everybody, this is my first post here.

I have a Weiler condor VS2 with the 2 speed motor and the electric brake. I noticed a burnt smell from the motor on some occasions lately, and also some roughness on starting the lathe. When i removed and dismantled the motor expecting to find a bad bearing, I found that all the brake pads had come loose at the glue line from the brake shoes!
There has been a slight oil leak above the motor that may have caused the glue to dissolve.

Anybody else here had this problem, or herd about how to fix it?
Brake shoe glue is hard to come by these days, and I doubt the spare brake shoes are still available. I would really like to fix the brake, its a nice feature on this lathe.

maybe a 2 part epoxy may help to bond the brake linings to the shoe.
just make sure to clean all traces of oil from the mating surfaces.

countersunk brass rivets may be another method of attaching the lining to the shoe too!

good luck-
mike:))

@Mike
Thank You for Your advice. Since I posted this, I hopefully found a good solution to the problem in small company that can fit new brake pads on the brake shoes at a rather modest cost. Then I also don´t have to worry about getting the oil out of the old brake pads. I researched using epoxy, but it seems that brake shoes get to hot and epoxy softens at to low temperatures so the pads risk loosening. Finding a suitable glue seems next to impossible, at least here. The glue used professionally seems to be some sort of oven cured stuff.

If anybody else has this problem on a Weiler Condor VS2, the brake option seems to have been very unusual. I found no info about it on the net or from other owners.

Erik

Back