Weird cutting tool.

Braeden P

Registered
Registered
I got this in a box of end mills and it is left handed but really weird looking in the form

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    646.8 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    936.1 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    678.7 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    859.7 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    873.6 KB · Views: 50
I think it’s a left hand end mill maybe for a CNC mill
Cheers
Martin

Braeden,

Likely is a reamer, but is still a right-handed tool, look at the cutting edge.
It needs to be turned clockwise from above to cut.
Although the spiral flutes are reverse what a typical drill bit has.

-brino

Last edited:
Might be a reamer that is what I first thought but why would they make one left handed and it would be a chucking reamer.

Braeden,

Likely is a reamer, but is still a right-handed tool, look at the cutting edge.
Although the spiral flutes are reverse.

-brino
I messed that up right handed down cutting then I will have to measure it to see if it is a reamer.

It is a few thou over 1 inch so it probably is a ream but it pushing work down does not make sense to me.

It is a few thou over 1 inch so it probably is a ream but it pushing work down does not make sense to me.
Spiral flutes are for cutting holes that have interrupted cuts, oil slots, or the like. Pushing the chips forward makes sense for something that is open on both sides. It will not dig in like a drill, but instead takes pressure to make the cut. I'm thinking something specific like king pin, or wrist pin reamer.

Spiral flutes are for cutting holes that have interrupted cuts, oil slots, or the like. Pushing the chips forward makes sense for something that is open on both sides. It will not dig in like a drill, but instead takes pressure to make the cut. I'm thinking something specific like king pin, or wrist pin reamer.
Thanks a lot that clears things up.

Back