Weird runout issue

You can distinguish from runout due to an off axis condition and lobing by noting where the high and low points occur. Lobing will produce high spots at multiple rotation angles while an off axis condition will have a single high and low reading per revolution.

I’m not an expert but in my opinion, if there’s metal in the crankcase from bearings... the metal from bearings tends to be little tiny flakes. Metal from gears is more of a dark black dust consistency. But bearing debris is made of chrome flakes. It’s a very distinctive sort of debris.
Now granted, all the above is a rough rule of thumb. There will always be the odd case which none of the above applies such as flakes coming off of bearings which is the sitting in a crankcase for years which has water in the bottom of the crankcase. That might get rusty. But, I would think most bearings shed bright flaky metal.

Well, the case points in this direction, I got chrome flake debris AND I just fond that someone recessed the lubrication lip, so the bearings are running dry from long ago. I put back the lip and while testing lubrication, the front seal started to leak so I conclude that someone recessed the lip to stop the front leak!

Ouch!

They fixed it the most expensive way.

Cheaply.

Well a bumpy bearing leads to a bumpy workpiece

Attachments

• DSC02918.JPG
    DSC02918.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 36
  • DSC02919.JPG
    DSC02919.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
  • DSC02920.JPG