Weiss lathe WMP280VF

ivel03

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Purchased this unit used off from Facebook Marketplace. Story was that it was purchased but never used. Seemed to still have the shipping grease on it.

PXL_20211204_165743667 - Copy.jpg

Really excited i set it up and started to clean and oil it. That went well until i attempted to use it for a test cut. I made a few cuts and then ran the carriage into the chip shield in the back. This twisted the lower shaft inside of the gearbox.

PXL_20211205_143351030.jpg

PXL_20211205_180648096.jpg

Where can i find a replacement shaft? I have tried the following:

• Precision Matthews - they don't sell parts to machines they don't sell. Looks the same as the 1127 they sell but they said it's not exactly the same.
  • DROPROS - they don't do much with Weiss b/c of price increases; the parts guy is looking into it but likely wouldn't be able to help much
  • Emailed Weiss direct; given the time zone difference it'll likely be tomorrow morning.
I would have thought that the shear pin to the drive shaft would have broken before the shaft bent. It seems that the newer version of this machine has some sort of slip clutch instead of the shear pins. Maybe i should try to turn my own shaft - do you think that would be possible for a novice? Is the shaft hardened or something that can't be done in a home machine shop?

Thanks,
-Levi

Hi and welcome,

Hopefully Weiss will get back to you with a readily available and affordable replacement.

If not, you are fortunate to have a lathe and may be able to make the part yourself. I've used a broken lathe to re-create parts which I destroyed in the past, not that tough.

The keyway slots may be a challenge if you don't have a mill but there are lots of good folks on here who might be able to assist.

You've come to the right place....

John

I thought those little lathes had a plastic gear to take the shear ... I guess not.
It also looks like the casting took a hit too. I can't enlarge the picture, but the gear box looks like the support to the left of the twist is not straight up and down. If it's not please let us know... That might change how you fix things.

A shaft twisting like that means it had no heat treating whatsoever- if it hadn't twisted it would have worn extremely fast.
You might be able to cross reference a similar part from Grizzly if Weiss can't supply it
-M

Thanks for all of the replies and thoughts so far. I think the picture makes the casting look like that - or at least i don't remember it looking like that in real life when i tore it down. I'll have to take another look and verify.

A shaft twisting like that means it had no heat treating whatsoever- if it hadn't twisted it would have worn extremely fast.
You might be able to cross reference a similar part from Grizzly if Weiss can't supply it
-M

I would have thought similar about the lack of heat treating. I do wonder if the top shaft is equally as soft. Thanks for the suggestion on Grizzly however i don't see them listing a machine with 3 levers on the gearbox.

You just never can tell where corners may have been cut with these import machines- that's why it's so important to pay a bit more and buy from a dealer that will stand behind the product, and provide spares. A properly tempered shaft would have withstood the impact, even though a few gear teeth may have broken. What I'm wondering is why the machine didn't protect itself better? A shear pin for example
-M
I wonder too if the shaft could be carefully untwisted, straightened, and then given some heat treatment?

I was able to get the parts via Weiss - the shaft was $6, the triple gear $10, and the keys were $1. I ordered the top shaft as well in case that got damaged and because shipping was $80!

Hopefully the parts are on the way soon and i can get the machine put back together. In manual mode i was able to make this out of scrap:

PXL_20211211_181120627.jpg

The rod was a bit rusty but i liked the patina. I attempted to put some knurling on the end of the handle; it turned out OK - a bit of a tight pattern but i was pleased for my first time. The handle is threaded into the brass head.

The handle rod is 1/2" and the brass is 1" in case the scale is hard to tell from the pic.

Recieved the parts today. It took many emails back and forth to get the parts ordered and shipped to me but they did eventually come. Quality of replacement parts seems good, spent a few hours test fitting the parts and cleaning things up. From the testing i did it's going to be a bit of a treat to get the 3 gear shift levers lined up but i'm sure after enough fiddling i'll get it.

Got it back together. It was a bit tricky but it did go back together. I discovered that the bushing that holds the change gears Z3 and Z4 together cracked in half as well. I had one and it looked the same but it was a tight fit - i filed the key ways of the gears a bit and it did tap on but doesn't slide on. I'm pretty sure it's sintered metal so i was as gentle as i could be with it.

Added new gear oil and it seems to run OK. What a relief getting the gear levers lined up and also getting the balls and springs back in there. Had time to do a few cuts and it works! Thanks for all of the encouragement everyone!

Back