Welding A Part With A Plating?

Skowinski

Registered
Registered
Ok, I'm wanting to make a tool for holding the splined shaft on my PM-833TV. I found this coupler (made for water pump connections between motor and shaft) that will work, but I need to weld a handle onto it. It's some sort of magnetic steel, with what appears to be a coating? Or has it been heat treated? It's just a dull grey inside, but the outside is a golden color with some reds and greens in it in the right light.

Don't want to fire up the welder and gas myself out if it's a coating I'm not aware of....

edit: no information about this on the website where I ordered it from.

Tool.jpg

That looks a lot like cadmium plating, a great rust preventer. Welding thru cadmium will produce highly toxic fumes and dust. Do it outside and make sure the fumes are blowing away from you.

Thanks. Hadn't thought of cadmium.... only really familiar with zinc and chrome plating.

Yeah, it was the fumes I was worried about, but I think the welding on this part can be done in less than 30 seconds max, maybe 15.

Thanks. Hadn't thought of cadmium.... only really familiar with zinc and chrome plating.

Yeah, it was the fumes I was worried about, but I think the welding on this part can be done in less than 30 seconds max, maybe 15.

The issue is that the toxic dust will still settle everywhere, Do it outside.
The cad will also contaminate the weld and weaken it.

The chemical used to remove cad plate is ammonium nitrate. I do not know the specific process.

I suppose I could also take it outside and hit it with a steel brush on a grinder to remove the plating on the side I will weld.

Anyway, will definitely do whatever I decide outside, this Cd plating doesn't sound like to good thing to be messing with.

Cadmium is a killer. In water line flanges all bolts are black iron because of this . Never flame cut cadmium plates bolts. If you can grind off the plating go ahead Cadmium can kill you. Not worth the risk.

Can you braze or silver solder it rather than weld it? If its some kind of tool steel, it will not take well to welding anyway.

I think that may just be yellow zinc plating (zinc chromate).
Like this:
1605275633397.png
Either way, just have a decent fan blowing continuously to carry the fumes downrange. I have done this many times when casting zinc alloys and it works fine.
Robert

Uggh... thanks guys. Whatever it is I don't want to mess with it inside, I'll take all precautions.

edit: it does look a lot like that pic of yellow zinc coating.....

Back