Welding Machine Tapered Plugs/sockets

amuller

Active User
Registered
So I have two old welders that use these tapered connectors but there are two sizes and I have one of each.

The difference is around 0.30 in but is enough to prevent interchange.

Am wondering if the tapers used on these are any standard that I could get reamers for. Anybody know? I think there is enough metal in the receptacles that the smaller size could be reamed to take the larger plugs.

dimensions here:

https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/enlarge.pl?main/Lenco/05080.gif:LENCO+Machine+Plugs

I'm not aware of anyone that sells reamers for the tapered connectors.

Your best bet is to buy new female connectors and replace the old ones with the newer style ones.

I'm not aware of anyone that sells reamers for the tapered connectors.

Your best bet is to buy new female connectors and replace the old ones with the newer style ones.

If you can upgrade to the newer design go ahead. New and safer

These are the two most common sizes, on smaller old school buzz box welders under 235 amps 20% Duty cycle tap type plug-ins. I have had larger Marquette.Miller ect. 250, 275, & 300 amp machine with much larger plugs.
Currently my big 300 amp Midstates welder ...had to make plugs for it by copying the taper from another similar machine, for they were un-obtainable.
Not aware of any standards on the taper, just measured one up and made them by trial error!

Back