Welding, soldering or brazing a bung to brass radiator tank

r-mm

Registered
Registered
Hello all

I'd like to add a temperature sender bung to an brass tank radiator. From poking about the web I believe soldering / brazing is the correct method. The radiator will be a new reproduction of a 70's unit so at least it will not have decades of gunk on it, but I have no idea what alloy of brass it will be.

I have a TIG and a small, not totally wonderful Bernzomatic oxy/acty torch.

Why there?

Often in equipment or add to hose via a coupler

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The coupler is the common solution yes, but I find it to be a bit inelegant as it adds a joint and for my application, puts the sensor on the opposite side that I'd like it.

Here's a picture of a radiator (not mine) that has the solution I'd like: a bung on the lower driver's side facing rear.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 32
Thanks guys. For work of this scale what type and size torch would be appropriate? I've got this Bernzo oxy/map torch.

Attachments

• external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 28
Yep, soft solder it on. That setup should work fine. Just be sure to submerge or wrap with wet cloth anything that's close and has a solder joint. Get in with the heat, flow the solder and get out as quickly as you can. A really small torch is not an advantage in that respect. The longer you spend, the more heat soak you'll get to places you don't want the heat. Your fit, prep and application of flux are key to success too. Worth doing a test run if you've got some copper or brass scrap the same size as the bung and gauge of the plate.

Good luck!

Or, be more cautious and let a competent radiator repair man do it; imagine being on the road far from anything and having the thing blow out, what then?

Ha I should have said... this is for a 10 year project where I am perpetually out of my league and like it. Did the welding, assembly, wiring, motor, rebuilt the transmission. I'd say a solid 85% of it I did right! Failures welcome/encouraged. Not a daily driver, a journey.

Soldering would be good, silver solder is better but requires more heat. What ever method you choose, lay the rad horizontally on a bench fill the tank with water 1" below the bung level and solder away. The water will dissipate the heat from the rest of the rad. Last step pressure test .

Back