Welding Stand

A leather welding apron attached to the bottom of the plate the vise is bolted to and draped over the whole assembly to shield it might help protect it.

Can't find it now ,but recently saw a post with a welding table that had locking bars with vice grips welded to them , the bars were fully adjustable and would lock to any position with the vice grip on the end. I think there were four bar/grips on about a 2x2' plate . If I had the room ied make one of those.

Is this the one you were looking for. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/welding-clamps.39458/

Kevin

I was thinking I could put a sheet metal skirt around the upper disk to shield the ball, with a plate riding on the top of the ball to move with it, just in case sparks were a problem. I like Piney's solution better. You can get cheap leather jackets at thrift stores. Lots of soft leather in one of those. Since the top plate unscrews, a 3/4" hole in the middle of the leather would be the simplest way to attach it.

I was smitten by this construction and initially disregarded dlanes observation about flammability. A little internet search turns up that in the last several years they've been made of Urethane and Polyurethane. Nasty toxic stuff if it begins to off gas. And yes like any plastic it will burn. Hot and toxic.

I'm not ready to give up on the build, but am thinking about alternative spherical shaped objects.

Daryl
MN

I'm wondering what those shiny "lawn balls" that we sometimes see are made of.

Just mount a curved shield on the shaft between the vise and the bowling ball to keep hot sparks from falling on it. Should be fairly easy, and still give you the full range of travel. Just a thought.

GG

That's what I was picturing for the top plate I mentioned above. Ooh! I just flashed on a stainless steel mixing bowl. Pop a hole in the middle and slide it on.

Lots of options.

Back