Well.....cr@p....

great white

Active User
Registered
Pulled the argo:

fr_3294.jpg

in today to install the front drive chains. I remove the front chains when running tracks to make it easier on the other drive chains. Basically, so they bind up less.

The rh side chain was super slack for some reason and it was tensioned properly when I removed it. A little investigating and:

fr_4351.jpg

Ugh.

The outer bearing housing has spit and a chunk has gone awol. That's the inner bearing race you see on the shaft and the balls are just absent.

Adding to my "ugh" is they don't make that part anymore. They only sell an "upgrade" kit that allows you to install the newer bearings they now use on argos.

Guess I have my next project for the Atlas 10F.......lets see now: aluminum or mild steel.......leaning towards steel so it won't blow out like that again. Won't be fancy though. Just a solid piece cut with the right diameters for shaft, bearings and seals as well as fastener holes.

Last edited:
to add to the joy of the whole thing, this is the axle that goes under the engine. So basically, I have to pull the whole power pack out to get to the bolts and remove the axle.

Ugh again.....

Ugh tripled.

The hits just keep on coming.

It's been getting harder and harder to make RH turns in the Argo. It's skid steer, so you turn it with the brake levers.

Turns out the RH disc is soaked in oil. Appears the RH transmission shaft seal is leaking. That's a transmission out job.

:mad:

These are unstoppable, go anywhere rigs. But man, when they break, they break big time.....

Looks like I won't be making a new housing after all.

Oddly enough, the Argo is made in Ontario Canada and I ended up ordering a replacement out of the States.....100 bucks CAD. I'd spend more than half of that just for the steel round big enough to turn the piece out of. 4.5" steel puck isn't going to be cheap and I save myself the trouble of having to machine it out.

I may still make some in steel at a future date, but the replacement cast aluminum one will get it up and running for now.....as an added bonus, it comes with new seals. I've already got spare bearings sitting on the shelf (most Argo owners do as these bearings get a right proper beating every time you drive it), so it's a hundy and done.

Still have to pull the power pack (ie: engine and trans), but at least the bearing housing replacement will be easy.....

I was going to say I would think that the flanged bearings could be bought locally which I think you found . :encourage: Looks like they use carriage bolts on the bearing flanges ? Wonderful . I think I would change a few things to make removal easier and quicker . I did all our conveyor systems so the bearings can be replaced in minutes vs hours .

Hey, man. It's got a grease fitting. What more do you want? A little more grease and you're good to go, right?

I don't envy your task. But it will feel good when done. Like a new machine. They're FUN!
DanK

I was going to say I would think that the flanged bearings could be bought locally which I think you found . :encourage: Looks like they use carriage bolts on the bearing flanges ? Wonderful . I think I would change a few things to make removal easier and quicker . I did all our conveyor systems so the bearings can be replaced in minutes vs hours .
I’ve got lots of bearings on the shelf. 20 bucks a piece from a local supply store. My issue is the bearing housing is broken…

Hey, man. It's got a grease fitting. What more do you want? A little more grease and you're good to go, right?

I don't envy your task. But it will feel good when done. Like a new machine. They're FUN!
DanK
Its something I’ve done before. Argo’s are hell and a half on chains and bearings.

And no, I am not looking forward to it. Its all simple work, the problem is it’s all down in the bottom of the tub. Its bascially like trying to work on the bath tub drain with a second bathtub flipped upside down and bolted to the first. “Access” is not a word that applied to argo’s…

Back