Well, I got me a carbide tool grinder finally!

Wow that is a definite You Suck deal, it even has the stand! Get that Baldor up and running ! Too nice a tool to just leave sitting. Show us some photo's when you get it done.

Roy
Right after I got it I had to move, still setting up the shop's. Working 2 jobs sucks for time. I set up the wood shop first because that took the most work and time, now I'm working on the metal shop side of my basement shop. Working on the grinder wall now so the Baldor restore is coming up.

Well, I was on the road working for the past few weeks. I got home this morning after a 10 hour drive. I finally got to see my new grinder. It seems like it's going to be pretty good. It will need some tweaking and the wheels are horrible which I expected. The grinding wheels are so out of round, it's pathetic. when you turn them by hand, they wobble like the wheels on a clown car! Hard to believe that the Chinese can't even cast a round molded wheel. The material they are made out of seems tough, I played a little with some carbide and they worked well but they are so bad, I don't even think they could be dressed, if you can even dress a straight cup wheel. Other than that, the motor seems strong. The castings are rough but I expected that. All in all not bad for $217. It will do the job and be pretty nice with new wheels and a little TLC.

So in the video, a few post up, the guy welds the roll pin and gets it out. I have the same machine with the same problem. I would like to get that pin out so I can get to that bushing. It's a few thousands out. I don't want to drill through the entire shaft. I'm afraid of weakening it. Lord only knows what type of metal it is. Remember, we are dealing with Chinese crap here. I can't weld it and don't want to drill it out. I tried grabbing it with pliers but there isn't enough meat to get a good enough grip to compress the pin. I even tried an easy out figuring maybe it would grab enough I could twist it out but that didn't work either. I'm open to ideas on how to get that roll pin out. I wish they would just have a key in there.

I used a pair flush cutters to grab the end of one roll pin. I also used a self tapping sheet metal screw on the other pin. Both worked.

Roy

IIRC I paid $600 for this virtually brand new Baldor with wheels and factory stand.

baldor-500-1_zpsee2pas05.jpg

baldor-500-2_zpsbd0ylkjf.jpg

Back