Well, this sucks

It's only a "mistake" if you do something wrong TWICE....

Do you have the factory Honda manual? http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

Edit: the Honda manual doesn't call for using loctite on the cam sprocket bolts. I'm not an expert on motorcycle engines, but in my years of building various Japanese motorcycle engines, I don't recall ever seeing loctite called out in that application. Maybe the old bolts were stretched and just worn out? How tight did you tighten them?
Or, thin plates that capture 2 bolts and you bend the tabs up. That's what was on my Motorcycle if I remember correctly.

It's only a "mistake" if you do something wrong TWICE....

Do you have the factory Honda manual? http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

Edit: the Honda manual doesn't call for using loctite on the cam sprocket bolts. I'm not an expert on motorcycle engines, but in my years of building various Japanese motorcycle engines, I don't recall ever seeing loctite called out in that application. Maybe the old bolts were stretched and just worn out? How tight did you tighten them?
There was some residue from blue loctite on them so I should have used it again. Torque spec is 6-9 ft/lbs so I did 10 since my horror freight torque wrench is questionable.
Or, thin plates that capture 2 bolts and you bend the tabs up. That's what was on my Motorcycle if I remember correctly.
none on the cam sprocket, I probably could make on that would help

There is no manual for rebuilding it but I found a table some guy made for the torque specs and it wasn’t enough.

it’s only about $70 for a set of NOS valves and a cam chain along with a new set of gaskets.
If it were me, re-using that sprocket, I would drill new mounting holes 90* out, make the retaining plates, with blue loctite, (usually melts at about 300 deg F.).

Last edited:
Ooohhh that hurts. but it looks like it will go back ok with the new parts.
My similar experience was a Matchless G12 650cc, race tuned stupidly fast road bike.
I had just screwed up the last bolt in a race against time to pick up my girlfriend and go to the movies.
The bike was stolen whilst we were "watching?" the movie so had to take the bus home.
The next day whilst tidying the shop I found the huge locking washer for the crankshaft sprocket sitting in the tool box.
I chalked it all up to experience and always used a large chain and padlock to to lamp post on every bike I had to leave after that.
Fast forward 10-15 years when I received a call from the police asking if I was the owner of a matchless motorcycle registration blah blah.
I said could be, I had one stolen many years ago.
He said they found it did I want it back.
I asked what was it like and the answer was one dented fuel tank, one pair twisted/bent forks, half a crank case with a large hole and that was it.
Obviously I didnt want that back but I laughed my socks off thinking about the huge bang and probably bits of metal flying everywhere hopefully through the legs of the errant thief.

Back