Went To The Auction Today

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Picked up a few things today. Went with Jim Dawson.

Got this for $220 with the buyers premium. Going to put it on my Kent mill. It has a Baldor Super E VFD rated 3hp motor on it. It uses R8 tooling, where the Kent head is NMTB30. With not having to spend $1000 for a new Kent motor, and not having to tool up with 30 taper, I'll saw about $2k or more.

511-1.jpg 511-3.jpg 511-5.jpg

Got this for $113. It's brand new, even even used.

20151024_175148.jpg

And picked up something for Jim.

20151024_173616.jpg

It was a VERY good day :)

Looks like a great score congrats! Sure beats the hell out of our local craigslist prices.

Thanks.

Yes it does beat CL. I missed a big commercial 3 phase Clausing Drill press. Went for $325. I could have bid him up on it, but I decided to save my money and get my mill running. Sure was temping though.

It was on 130th and Divison in Portland. The old D street auto wrecking site. There were about 500 people there.

Some things went for pretty good prices, others were sky high and you wonder what drugs they were taking to pay that much for stuff.

I was prepared to go much more on the mill head, but only me and one other guy bid on it. Same with the carbide grinder.

There was 3 pallets of old HS tool blanks, some drill bits, old thread mount drill chucks, and bunch of just junk, and 1 good super chuck. We were thinking maybe $25 to $30 for the one pallet. The 3 of them went for $1000. We couldn't believe what we heard. Scrap value was probably $20 max.

It was a very long day, but it's one of the best birthdays I've had in many years :D

Interesting how this sort of thing works out. Unpredictable why some items go nuts and others lanquish.
Both good values.
3hp wow!
I had to look up Kent Mill.
Nice spread of size options!
I look forward to anything you might post about the mod/installation.

Daryl
MN

And I bought a ''thing'' not sure what it was used for. But it has 6 servo motors w/precision gear boxes on it, ball screws, rails, other hardware, and a full control panel. 3 pallets of hardware. Also has 4 of what I think are ultrasonic welders (the shafts sticking out)

There are 2 of these on pallets, plus the control panel. A lot of usable 5/8 aluminum tooling plate and other hardware.

thing.jpg

Daryl,

I'll be heading out to Jim's today to work on the head and I'll post how it works out. We are going to put power to it and see how it runs. I have a big VFD on my CNC mill and we can pull power off that to test the head. Then I'll save up some more $$ and get VFD from Automation Direct.

The carbide grinder runs really nice.

Fingers crossed the Acer head fires up and purrs like a kitten.
Makes you wonder where the rest of the machine is/was/what happened to it.
Did you see it at the auction?
500 peeps? yikes. that's a heck of a turn-out.

Just the head was there. It has a large angle plate attached to it and from what Jim says it was controlled remotely by a VFD. So we are guessing it was mounted on a larger piece of machinery for a second op or something like that. The head usually comes with the controls on the front of it, but looks like it never had that and was probably special ordered that way. I'll have to make up a control panel for it.

Yeah I was surprised at how many were there. Paying for my stuff at the end of the day was a pain. I was in line for over a half hour. Thankfully my last item was on wheels and I loaded it myself. The things that needed loaded by forklift had a huge line, even longer than when they loaded out our bigger stuff.

I just wish I'd have had more bucks to spend there. I have 3 jobs n my bench now, if it had been next weekend I'd have brought the Clausing home with me. But I wanted to save my money to get the VFD and other parts needed to get the Kent up and running. Can't get all of them I guess.

Back