What are advantages from using stainless steel bolts and nuts?

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
A local hardware store where i usually buy my hardware started to offer more choice, and now i have A2-70 and A4-70 stainless steel bolts and nut available, so i want some advice from other more experienced machinists is it worth and on what to use ?, what i do is mostly car related, and some light shop fab stuff.

Cold worked stainless w 70k working strength....i think the A2 vrs A4 is quality?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Had to look it up A2 is 316 and A4 is 304....the 304 more corrosion resistant....and the 70 is 700 N as in metric

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I try to avoid using SS fasteners. They gall, and cause dissimilar metal corrosion when in contact with other metals. I try to use similar metals and keep any potential corrosion away using other methods. I understand SS is often/usually chosen for its decorative value (we used to say "if it don't go, chrome it"), but for me, pretty is as pretty does.

I worked in an acid plant for many years and just about 99% of the fasteners were SS316L. Great for acid resistance but as mentioned above they will gall.A little SS antisieze compound on the threads helps if you intend to remove them in the future. For automotive use stick with grade 5 or 8.

I try to avoid using SS fasteners. They gall, and cause dissimilar metal corrosion when in contact with other metals. I try to use similar metals and keep any potential corrosion away using other methods. I understand SS is often/usually chosen for its decorative value (we used to say "if it don't go, chrome it"), but for me, pretty is as pretty does.

Well, I like the corrosion resistance. My Toyota's license plate screws rust like crazy. Just got a new vehicle for the wife, and am getting tired of the brown rust stains running down, so think I'll put some loctite on to prevent the dissimilar metal corrosion and be happy that they won't rust anylonger.

All of the fasteners on my boat are either stainless steel or bronze. Since I typically buy full boxes of fasteners most of the stuff I have in stock is stainless. I truthfully haven't had problems with galling except when using an impact driver. For stainless fasteners in aluminum (boat mast and boom) I use "Tef-Gel" which is a really expensive anti-seize and corrosion prevention. It's messy but a tiny bit goes a long way.

I worked in an acid plant for many years and just about 99% of the fasteners were SS316L. Great for acid resistance but ....

That depends on what acid. 300 series stainless needs to be passivated first, otherwise it gets attacked like other
metals. I've electrochemically etched shapes out of stainless with a little nitric acid.

Oddly, aluminum is recommended for sulphuric acid, though it fizzes away in hydrochloric.

Titanium, now THERE'S an acid resistant metal!

Back