What are chinese 4 x 6 bandsaws like?

hq308

Active User
Registered
After recently buying an X2 style mill to go with my chinese 9 x 20 lathe I'm realising I need to get something to cut stock with (a hacksaw really doesn't cut it - pun intended ;D).

I've been looking at a chinese 4 x 6 bandsaw and I've seen a few references to them here and it seems like a few guys here have one. My shed is only 6m x 6m (20ft x 20ft) and half of that is taken up by my car. What's left houses my automotive tools and equipment, spare parts, my dirtbike, stuff for my home renovations and general storage.

With my limited space the 4 x 6 sounds ideal but I'd like to hear the opinions of those that own one, how capable are they? Most of what I do at the moment is aluminium and mild steel but I guess as I get better at machining that could change.

Last edited:
By all means David, go for it! 8)

You will find a number of threads about those saws here with good info on them. Like most "import" machines they are considered to be in "kit" form, meaning that you will need to do some "fine-tuning" on the machine to make it more dependable. But the effort will be well worth it when the old hack saw is allowed to sit and rust. ;)

I've got the 7x12 version, but those too are a work in progress when you get them. ;D

Thanks Highpower, I'm off to do some reading. :)

Last edited:
David,

This one easily overlooked Chinese tool, with its low price and "Made in China" tag is, arguably, the top tool bargain - period!

Get one, read up on the modifications and tweaks that are many and varied (none very difficult) and enjoy the many times you will use that little saw.

Heres a yahoo site dedicated to them - with many of those mods etc...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4x6bandsaw/

:) I've got one and it beats a hacksaw hands down. A bit of attention to setting it up and making sure things are square and check into the modifications. A good quality blade is top priority in my books and makes the saw look a lot better in the end cut.

~Chris

author=Tenn link=topic=3072.msg21930#msg21930 date=1313205584
:) I've got one and it beats a hacksaw hands down. A bit of attention to setting it up and making sure things are square and check into the modifications. A good quality bi-metal blade is top priority in my books and makes the saw look a lot better in the end cut.

~Chris
Fixed that for ya. ##

Last edited by a moderator:
i've had a buffalo brand 4x6 for like 10yrs, its been a great saw for what i paid for it..

I have one of those no-name 4 x 6 saws. Older than Harbor Freight. Have no idea when or from where it was imported. Paid 50 bucks for it, because my big saw broke down in the middle of a job and I was in a pinch. I've worn out a drive belt, and quite a few blades, but other than that, it's been just fine. Mush easier to use than the big saw for most of the small stock. I keep a 4-6 pitch blade on the other saw, so small stock is better cut on the 4 x 6 anyway. Neither is automatic, so need babysitting.

I say also that they are a bargain for the price.

Thanks for all the replies, I guess I'll be taking a drive accross town in a couple of weeks to get me a bandsaw! ;D

Last edited:
Picked up a bandsaw today :D

I hope to get it together and running on the weekend.

Last edited:
Back