What are the chemicals such as solvents and cutting fluids, that produce a hazardous dust when used

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi everyone,
I was hoping some of you with lots of experience will not only state the obvious, but perhaps more importantly, the not so obvious.
What specific chemicals should never be used with abrasive stones?
What type of respirator is preferred when working with abrasive , aluminum oxide and silicon carbide, products?
Thanks,
Jon

Re: What are the chemicals such as solvents and cutting fluids, that produce a hazardous dust when u

I have never heard of a solvent or cutting fluid that should not be used with an abrasive.

If you have concerns about the dust, any of the respirators that will filter dust should be adequate. The real issue of respirators is when you are using chemicals that have fumes that will either not be stopped by the filter or will degrade the filter itself. If you are using something that you are not familiar with, check the MSDS for that material. They are filled with a lot of important information and will generally tell what precautions should be used.

Re: What are the chemicals such as solvents and cutting fluids, that produce a hazardous dust when u

For grinding, the hazards are primarily particulate matter ending-up in your lungs. Serious chemical reactions typically occur with very high heat operations like welding as, the extreme high heat creates catalytic changes which convert the chemical(s) into other (potentially highly poisonous) substances. Sadly, many welders are found dead on the floor from welding objects that have residue left behind from brake cleaner and similar chemicals like carbon-tetrachloride and tri-chloretheleye When grinding on materials, the temps are no where near the heat needed to cause catalytic changes; thus, your exposure is limited to dust from the wheel, the material being ground and whatever chemicals are on it.

I always use the basic particle masks that have a rating 90 or above. The numeric rating is the percentage of particulate matter that is trapped in a properly fitting filter as opposed to not wearing one at all. If you want ratings above 95, you need to go with a rubber sealing face mask type -the kind used in automobile paint shops etc. For the small amount of this work I do, coupled with using a dust collector, I find the paper mesh filters to be adequate. Those really flimsy ones are useless but the ones costing a couple bucks each are pretty effective.

For the sake of completeness, no mask will protect you from carbon monoxide etc. There are some "organic" masks that will protect you from laquer thinner and related chemicals but, particulate type masks do not protect you in that area.

Ray

Brake cleaner and welding appears to be a nasty combination. Still alive (and thankfully sharing this experience), but a very sad story of something that could have been avoided.
This is a good thread with regard to respirators (scroll down a bit.) I mostly wear a face mask with 3M P100 cartridges for bronze brazing. Too bad it's not as simple as wearing eye protection.

-Ryan

Anything with Lead or lead based paints. in Dust form is bad. If you vaporize it Really bad it can then enter not only through the mouth and nose but also eyes and skin. Partical masks will do no good here either.

Cobalt dust can be shop hazard produced when grinding HSS and especially carbide. While most home shops don't grind much carbide, it pays to be particularly careful if you use a powered sharpener on carbide because it has a lot of cobalt. Hand powered slip stones etc. are not a serious issue because the dust doesn't get into the air although conceptually it could cause contact dermatitis.
See: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0146.html

Add Throated Tungsten from TIG torches to that list. Avoid the dust when sharpening.
***G***

When you are knife making, be especially aware of any of the exotic woods used for handles.
Sanding these can and does cause both contact dermatitis and severe congestion. Use masks and cover all skin, shower when finished.
I you know you are sensitive, find another material for the handles.

Back