What are the chemicals such as solvents and cutting fluids, that produce a hazardous dust when used

most solvents are absorbed through the skin they take years to accumulate and to due damages to the neuro system.

never breath antler or bone....:disgust:

When you are knife making, be especially aware of any of the exotic woods used for handles.
Sanding these can and does cause both contact dermatitis and severe congestion. Use masks and cover all skin, shower when finished.
I you know you are sensitive, find another material for the handles.

most solvents are absorbed through the skin they take years to accumulate and to due damages to the neuro system.
There's one chemical that's especially dangerous, DMSO, which some people use topically as an analgesic. It carries stuff right into your system through contact. The anecdote about it is that scientists touched it and ketchup and very shortly afterward could taste the ketchup. Other uses followed. I have never tried it. If I did use it, such as for arthritis, I would be very careful to clean all other substances from my skin first.
The correct thing to do is read the MSDS for any chemical you use.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

Use respirators when dealing with WD40 and other similar oil in spray.
Don't weld galvanized steel.

A little off the subject but i figured it would be good to add that Carbide dust has been changed to a known carcinogen in the last few years it used to be a possible carcinogen.

also...ABSORBINE JR quietly changed from acetone base to something else...it used to make a good paint remover in a pinch....once discovered that it causes neuropathy it disappeared into the woodwork...and is now recommended for neuropathy treatment, go figure

There's one chemical that's especially dangerous, DMSO, which some people use topically as an analgesic. It carries stuff right into your system through contact. The anecdote about it is that scientists touched it and ketchup and very shortly afterward could taste the ketchup. Other uses followed. I have never tried it. If I did use it, such as for arthritis, I would be very careful to clean all other substances from my skin first.
The correct thing to do is read the MSDS for any chemical you use.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

On the subject of acetone, acetone is produced by the body in the oxidation of alcohol. A common symptom in people who drink alcohol in excess is called acetone breath. In college, I worked for a chemistry professor who drank and during early morning meetings the odor of acetone was very noticeable. The condition is known as ketoacidosis

Bob

Back